Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rant....  (Read 11782 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Rant....
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »
I just need a QUICK rant....
Have just had a rather scathing message on my Facebook from a very pro-breastfeeding person related to my son on his dad's side as I mentioned that I had always had a massive fear of breastfeeding. (Me doing it...no probs with anyone else doing it anywhere they please). Apparently I should know BETTER being so called into animals and what not and I should wholeheartedly SUPPORT people who ARE doing the best thing for their children (sounding suspiciously like a judgement against my choice and parenting ability as I chose to bottle feed!)
Yes... I prefer my lambs on their mum and for all to have colostrum and mothers milk for pref a week but I am not sure why that makes my CHOICE to bottlefeed my son wrong and how my opinion, choices and situation have invited someone to rip the hell into me because my values are not the same as hers.
My main annoyance tho, if I can admit to it, is that I have allowed this self-confessed 'lactivist''s comments to make me feel pretty shamed. I feel shamed for not having breastfed and feel even more shamed that I had the 'nerve' to mention it out-loud let alone the horrid feeling surrounding the BEING WRONG for my choice.
Rant over.  off to look at lamb piccies to make mew feel better!  :-[
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Rant....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:20:03 am »
I breastfed my children way back when the bottle was THE way, and I was treated to shock and horror that I could perform such an unnatural act as to breastfeed  ;D   It makes me laugh now that fashion has changed but at the time it was difficult to manage under that sort of pressure.
Your critics are just ignorant of the full picture.  Your children will grow up healthy whether you breast or bottle feed, and there are far greater things in life to worry about than that.  Just ignore them and keep smiling  8) .
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:09 am »
You do what feels right and suits YOU  :thumbsup:
As long as mum's okay, then baby will always be okay.

I breastfed mine for a wee while then mostly they went onto bottles. After no. 4 was born (after my first hospital birth because she was breach) I was stressed to the max and my milk dried up - it had been 16 hours of trying to feed her to no avail, I asked the nurse on the ward for a bottle for her and was told NO - I had to see a breast feeding advisor  ::) 3 hours of someone who didn't have children telling me why it was so important  :-\
It's fair enough being pro breastfeeding - but there has to be respect for folks choices, regardless of what they are  ;)
Hope you feel better soon, don't let her get to you  :-*
Karen  :wave:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:34:44 am »
Fleecewife and Happy Hippy are quite right....what is best for you is best for baby.

How dare this bl**dy woman pass comment on your choice!  I bet she wouldn't have said it to your face.

Tell her to p*ss off and then block her, she ain't worth your time.

Nice piccies of lambs?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:06 am »
Your body, your choice. simple as that.

How to start a row on FaceBook :   Post something,   wait. :innocent:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:16 am »
I'd have to echo whats been said already,,,,happy mum = happy baby   i bet your son is happy and healthy.....mine are...they're 19  and 20     big strapping lads   and yes i did breast feed.......so are my sisters boys......18   and 21....and she didn't :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:45:11 am »
OK - I have 4 children. I started to breastfeed all of them but my second I had to stop because I developed the severest form of postnatal illness at 10 days. (puerperal psychosis) and went onto very hardline medication. At the time I felt awful that I had 'failed' her but....

3 out of my 4 girls now have eczema if they go anywhere near cows milk or anything that contains it. Why? because breastfeeding didn't expose them early enough to what bottle/formula milk does - ie. cow's milk which is used in so many food items in the UK!  Eloise can eat or drink whatever she likes, Milli, INdia and Scarlett are limited. Milli has also possibly developed asthma. Is breast best? not sure now!!

In short, breast isn't best - happy mum=happy baby, surely that's best!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22:11 am »
You can see why people DON'T use facebook. (another discussion at another time, maybe?) I had eclampsia when my eldest child was born and was so ill for three weeks I couldn't feed him so he was bottle fed. The other three were breast fed, in fact I think I could have been a champion in a dairy animal show! (my youngest was three before she was persuaded to give up!!)
There has been absolutely no difference in their health or developement, physically or emotionally.
Breast feeding does give you an excuse to sit down with a good book, it's free, always sterile and the cat can't steal it but bottle feeding, these days, is just as good for the child provided, in my opinion, that you sit down and feed it. Eye contact when feeding is important to a baby.
So, don't take any notice of anybody else, do what suits you. More important to a child is love and security and the knowledge that, come what may, you are always on their side. :) :)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42:23 am »
Sylvia- I was thinking exactly the same about Facebook. Glad I don't do it.

Breastfed both of mine until they weaned themselves at about 14 months of age. It came very easily to me and I was told that they were putting on more weight than would be expected of bottle fed babies. So for me it was more convenient than the routines that go with bottle feeding. To me it is the most natural option and so the best - just as it is for our lambs or any other creature.

HOWEVER - I was appalled at the pressure put on other mum's in the ward to breast feed. Some of them were quite young and were literally in tears as they attempted to feed their newborns. They were so distressed when they had no milk or their babies wouldn't latch on. Midwives were really not supportive in the real sense of the word but just made the women feel guilty. Not a good start with your new arrival!
I echo others' words     

Happy mum/Happy baby

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:44:52 am »
Sandy, I know you and I know you wouldn't do that. Perhaps Doganjo is referring to someone else - you are far too nice to do petty daft stuff. I wish you'd come back and stay on TAS as you are a much loved, popular member here - I know for a fact I am not alone in saying that xxxx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:18 am »
Is that who it is?  I'm a bit slow, I'm afraid.  ::)  It's all a bit beyond me - just don't see the need.

All I will say is that as quite a newbie to this site , I used to enjoy reading your posts too, Sandy.

Agree with Plums - just come back.  :eyelashes:   ;D  We have the ignore button now.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
I am sick to death of this nonsense between Annie and Sandy, which has now moved to Facebook where TAS is being dragged into it.

If they don't stop it, I will. I am fed up spending time trying to sort out their spats. Dan and I have worked very hard to get this forum up and running and my tolerance of this cr*p has just hit rock bottom.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:52:47 am »
Tis done Rosemary, 'Bye, see you sometime
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »

Am I being particularly thick or was this rant about breast feeding and where did Dangerous dogs come in. ??? . Oh and why is everyone falling out with each other. :'(  I for one hate it :'(
Anne

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 12:35:04 pm »
have you ever seen a dangerous dog bottle feed? maybe that's the link.

Its definitely the weather, we are all fractious and falling out. Its because we are all holed up and want to be out 'there' doing smallholding. I think I'm off to make some jam.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS