Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heavy worm burden advice  (Read 3634 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Heavy worm burden advice
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:11 am »
Noticed some white grains in the droppings in Puffin and her 14 wk old kid, Sixpences Paddock a few days ago. Have given them a dose of wormer and Sixpence is now emptying out loads of what looks like tapeworm, which I assume are now dead due to the wormer.
Would you re-dose in a matter of days/weeks to get on top of the worms cycle or do I leave it at that?
Its pretty grim but he's looking much better already!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Heavy worm burden advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:01:34 am »
A goat expert will be along soon, no doubt, plums - meanwhile, if it were sheep you were talking about I would be suggesting you check any dogs which can poo where the sheep graze.  Our vet recommends worming any such dogs every 3 months.  Sheep can tolerate a tapeworm burden but they can cause cysts, some of which could cause symptoms and some of which, in fat lambs, could cause meat to be condemned. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:23:17 pm »
Same applies to goats.

If they were mine I'd worm once more to ensure I'd got them all. You remember that goats often need 1.5 times the dose that a similar weight sheep would need.

But you have to either control access to the pasture by dogs or worm them, if they're yours, if you're going to get control of tapeworms.

worms in sheep (and goats)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
Thanks both. No dogs live here or pass through.

I did the extra dosage for the goats and I changed Puffin's to a clear wormer as she was last done with a white. Any idea what the life cycle is for the worm so I know when to reworm for this batch?  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »
Hi, I had a tapeworm problem with one of my nannies last year, though not in the kids. Didn't resolve where it came from - but I guess it can also be carried by cats, foxes, badgers etc etc. We also do not have any dogs in the goat field.

The only wormer that treats tapeworm is Panacur, and it needs at least 1.5 up to 2 times the sheep dose. I did two and never saw a thing again.. so it worked. Also the nanny in question never showed any sign of ill health and milk yield remained as expected... but I was panicking though!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »
We have loads of foxes, badgers and deer - it could be from anyone of them I guess.  I panacur'd the kid but Noromec'd the nanny, she's not got any white in her poo's (I checked today) but he's still pouring out what looks like Taglietelle pasta (sorry if you are eating!)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »
Just finishing off a bar of chocolate that OH keeps buying... So not offended, and I have been there and checked droppings for worms...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »
If I remember rightly the tapeworm cycle is 21 days

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:44:28 pm »
Thank you JJ. Will have to worm then again.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS