Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Septic tank/overflow/drains  (Read 28313 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Septic tank/overflow/drains
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06:07 pm »
That's what I was worried about GP but it seems now that the builder who was involved originally is sure that the tank and overflow are working well and that the yard drain runs to its own separate soakaway.

Since the yard drain is only getting rid of rain water in the main, we can divert any excess into the beck pretty safely we reckon.

It was me who worried it was plumbed into the septic tank/soakaway system but that was just on the basis of misunderstood underground geography which the builder was able to clear up for me. I suppose it would have been a silly thing to do, to cut the rainwater drain into the septic tank system, not to mention the former is much older than the latter.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 08:20:04 am »
There are lots of historical drainage systems out there doing things we wouldn't find acceptable today particularly near rivers as they were no doubt used as flushing systems.  With all this flipping rain and huge rivers things back up causing problems.

Good your not wading around in the myre though, mucking out your own house might have been the straw that broke the camels back!  :D [size=78%] [/size]
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
What is now my day-to-day hay and straw store was once the netty, built directly over the stream so it emptied straight into it  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:27 pm »
 ;D  convenient, sure there must be a set up there for the goaties Jaykay!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 02:21:14 am »
Glad yours went ok.

I got to have a vent now on my septic woes - sorry - but it maybe useful to someone taking up a similar operation.

As you may know we have a campsite here and have been upgrading our toilet facilities for an estimate 60 person per night campsite, its seasonal but we told the planners that the toilets would be in use all year (or we would need a three stage waste system - we also would leave the toilets open all year anyway, but not like the system is going to have a hammering all year).

I had to buy a tank that basically outputs clean water - 6m long - 3.5 high and 2.6 wide - and needs constant power to run - it needs 500m of soakaway pipes 8"

Its quite literally almost more work than building the toilets.

I'd be surprised if only the first 100 meters of soakaway was ever used by the system.

I've also had letters asking about my personal 'hole in da ground' asking to register and get advice. - er no, it works fine as it is thanks. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS