Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Septic tank/overflow/drains  (Read 28468 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Septic tank/overflow/drains
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:26 pm »
Before you dig a new soakaway or anything to do with sewage - dont tell the planners, nor the environmental agency or let anyone who would grass you up see you doing it as amending current systems to new legislation will mean £xx,xxx's of your hard earned money.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 11:19:18 pm »
Thanks Bazz - I will be clearing round the area only of course  :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 08:38:48 am »
re new legislation - I have heard that the Environmental health are starying to send out letters around here to come and inspect ST arrangements.  They will have a heart attack if they see ours (made out of 2 IBCs in series with internal baffles.  All above ground!).  I dont know how the chap that converted this place got it through building regs 30 years ago but pretty sure it wouldnt cut the mustard now!  It works really well thoughg - so if they go on an effluent basis we'de be OK, but I suspect they have a number of 'approved' designs?  Now a new ST... NOT cheap.  Anyone had their system inspected?

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:39 am »
FIB  they have been bringing in new legislation from the sixty's   i think a fee accompanies any application that is the point and so they know every bit about your crap disposal
your system from the brief description is what is referred to as silt traps very efficient at what they do
it is the biological demand of the water that concerns them  BOD the clearer the water the better :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:24 pm »
JayKay
Don't know if this is same prob you have but sounded like it. OH is a builder and he recently went to see someone with a similar problem and it turned out that it needed something called interceptors between the tank and where it goes out (suspect they catch the cr.. er solids which cause the blockage) It maybe that your pipes/drains just need rodding (if you'll pardon the phrase! ;) ) to clear any yuk and then fit some of these interceptor things, took OH & oppo less than a couple of hours to do think he charged the bloke £80.
HTH
mandy  :pig:
Ps OH is always rodding our own drains pig chuds & straw seem to get everywhere! :innocent:

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »
interceptors work as well but only if they are cleaned out   if you fit them and forget them  it is just the same as not having  one fitted  :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
Ok, finally I managed to talk to one of the local builders who was involed in putting in the original septic tank and soakaway, and who has added to the soakaway recently.

He says that the pipe from the tank to the soakaway runs along the edge of the road and that the yard drain is not cut into it. Also that he and my ex extended the soakaway a couple of years ago and apart form the problem that it is in a bog (the entire dale is a bog!) it is working fine.

So we think that the yard drain, which is ancient, must also go into a soakaway under the byre, which has got silted up. So we are going to dig an additional channel so that, in heavy rain, when the drain soakaway can't cope, the excess can run into the beck. That's not a problem, since it is only rain.

I am so relieved 1. My house drainage system is fine and 2. There is a simple solution to the yard drainage

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »
Great news jaykay  :thumbsup: just need some dry weather for you to sort it now.  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:02 pm »
Oh, that sounds much better  :thumbsup:  Very glad for you.  How have you been coping with this torrential madness?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:49 pm »
 :wave: are you back from holiday - do you have a good time?

Floods on Thurs, drove through one halfway up the car doors on the way home from work in a panic to get home to check my animals, what with the beck the way it goes. Had to keep going or the water would have come in the exhaust. Scary  :o Animals all fine  :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 09:06:57 pm »
They won't allow any soakaways here if the water table ever comes within 1 metre of the surface. That's both rainwater and septic tank outlet. Current regulations they told me. It' a 'percolation test' that determines the size of the soakaways. They dig a metre deep hole and chuck some water into it to see how long it takes to soak away. In our case it's gone before you can hit the stopwatch because we are on a sand and gravel base.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »
Don't think any of the soakaways in this valley would pass a percolation test - except maybe for the occasional dry weeks in April. We probably all ought to have biodiscs with clean outflow fitted but few of us farmy people have enough money.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »
:wave: are you back from holiday - do you have a good time?
Aye, home last night.  We had a great time, thanks.  I've been warm enough for 24 hours a day for 8 days!  Now it's back to waterproof leggings, fleece, windproof long jacket, woolly hat...  :(  Ne'er mind, Cumbria has its compensations.  :thumbsup:  (You're one  ;) :-*)
Spent the day washing and then this evening - clipping my Castlemilk Moorits!   :thumbsup:  What fleece!  I am so made up with them!  Not much of, of course - I'll weigh them but I bet I get less than a kilo from the 4.

Floods on Thurs, drove through one halfway up the car doors on the way home from work in a panic to get home to check my animals, what with the beck the way it goes. Had to keep going or the water would have come in the exhaust. Scary  :o Animals all fine  :thumbsup:
Crikey, that sounds horrid.  Thank goodness you're all ok. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »
Ne'er mind, Cumbria has its compensations.    (You're one   )
  :-*  :eyelashes:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:05 pm »
HI Jaykay, don't have time to read all previous replies so apologies if this has been covered.  We had this problem recently and OH had to dig up the entire soakaway - it snakes around a large part of our ground near the river and had become blocked - what happens is that the holes in the pipe are quite a small diameter and because of all the rain etc we are experiencing now they tend to become blocked with bits of gravel / general debris - the holes not being big enough to allow these to escape. 
Your tank is an old fashioned one, not now suitable to building control standards - we have one of these too which we took a long time to realise it is now redundant and there was another type put in place nearby which has 3 manholes to take all our buildings.  The idea of the tank is that it generally soaks away and should never need emptied. 
Blockage somewhere, you just don't want a man who doesn't really know where to start and dismantles everything. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS