Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ebay eggs  (Read 10962 times)

wonderpupp

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: ebay eggs
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 09:44:08 am »
I have bought Ebay eggs before, I started with cheap random silkie egs and hatched them in an incubator, got 5 out of 6. Runner duck eggs, 2 out of 4, and polish frizzles I got 3 out of 6.

I love incubating eggs, it's really cool to see the little chicks come out, fluff up and then you have to brood them. My hens are a bit odd and never seem to be broody for long.

Rosie posie

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »
Yes Sally - you need to get her settled in her own little hutch and run. We bought a little triangular broody hutch and run (see pic) and put her in it in the hen paddock so that she could still see them.

Once we were happy that she was settled we got eggs from a local supplier forty minutes up the road (Rosie Posie on here). We had 100% fertilisation rate. Unfortunately one didn't make it on the day but we have six healthy cuckoo maran chicks now and they are a delight.

But it is a commitment

Thanks for the recommendation Suzie :)

I have sold eggs on Ebay, had excellent feedback of 100% fertility in some cases, even after posting.

I can understand that people can be wary of the risk, and in balance having been a buyer and a seller, there are risks to both sides of it, but, on the whole it means that as a buyer you have access to many more breeds/qualities of birds than you may have locally, as a seller you can sell more of course.
I would echo those who have said read the feedback first and make your decision from that.

I have received eggs in just a poly box, no other protection at all, and had fairish results.
Personally, I send my eggs as well-packaged as I would like to receive them myself.
Individually wrapping each egg in tissue in an ordinary egg box, which is then double-wrapped in bubble wrap. Placed in a cardboard box, filled with loosefill/shredded paper and, as I say, excellent results.  :thumbsup:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:14 pm »
If the eggs on ebay are not to far away you can always collect them.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Slavo

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »
I've bought light sussex eggs and also 2 batches of coturnix quail eggs on ebay.
all 3 different sellers and all very good.
5/6 with the light sussex, however, 4 cocks and the only hen was ginger! Speckled Sussex? Cross of sorts?
The quails, I had 4/6 and 13/24 (dropped 12 of them a few inches whilst loading the incubator, my own fault!).
That said, I'd be very wary of spending £130 on half dozen mandarin duck eggs, or £100 on 4 peacock eggs... unless of course they had feedback that put my mind at ease, though, even still. I'd want to go and collect them with armed guards in convoy  ;D

wonderpupp

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 03:54:49 pm »
£100 for four peacock eggs! Wow! I got mine for £3 each! I should let the guy I bought them from know...

Seriously though, yes, check the feedback, and the listings carefully. Personally, I thought £7.50 for the 6 frizzle eggs were fair enough last year. I consider Ebay to be like car booty territory: You wouldn't take £100 to a car boot sale unless you knew you were looking for something like a petrol stihl Strimmer. Likewise, when I sell stuff, I consider if I've enough to take car booting or just list it up on there.

Also, check your local Gumtree site, I have seen hatching eggs locally on there too.

lizto

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:26 pm »
E bay eggs 2/6, 2/6 and 1/6. Collected eggs 7/7, 7/8, 4/7. Several times I have asked ebay sellers if I can pick up the eggs in person and been told no. That makes me very suspicious!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:54 pm »
Yes, that would make me suspicious too.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
One reason some people don't want buyers to come and collect is that they are worried you might scope out their place then come back later and help yourself to all their birds and equipment. It happened to someone I know. They took all his chickens, all his feeders and drinkers and even the bags of feed from his shed.

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 07:49:29 am »
Hi sally ,  I too have a broody hen ( for about 3 days now ) . I have seperated her into an ark type run with nest box and  just bought 6 lavender sablepoot eggs thru ebay for her to sit on . Like others posting here I have had good and not so good hatch rates with ebay eggs - always check the feedback .  I have 24 chooks in all and 21 of them have been hatched here  , some with a broody and some with the incubator . If you decide to give it a go ,  good luck and let us know the outcome.   
Stefan

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:23 am »
One reason some people don't want buyers to come and collect is that they are worried you might scope out their place then come back later and help yourself to all their birds and equipment. It happened to someone I know. They took all his chickens, all his feeders and drinkers and even the bags of feed from his shed.
Exactly - it's happened to more than a few on PP forum - so the advice there is never to let folk come to your place, meet them in a carpark somewhere.

We know we're genuine - but the person you're buying from doesn't!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:02 am »
Jaykay, that does make sense, thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 11:42:11 am »
the eggs should be an investment in better stock than you can aford iff its copper marran get eggs from a good breeder iff you get 3 or 5 chicks the cock birds will sell or keep for youre stock .then build up from that.Im building new stock roads i have 6 groups off them onley the best 2 hens will be kept All the cocks will be kept and will use 2 there is not good utilatey stock eney more .in the 50s the birds layd 280 plus naw 200 iff luckey my stock   descend from John Leach’s flock of utility RIR created over 75 years ago; Unlike other utility rhode island reds they still retain their deep red colouring .

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »
http://www.penrhiwgarn.co.uk/

Gene and Chris Taylor are worth a visit just for the sheer scale of enterprise they have there.

They had a HUGE display of magnificent birds at the Smallholders Show. You probably saw them Sally.

You can visit (or at least - you could a couple of years ago....)

They are near you - between Bwlch and Crickhowell.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:44:25 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »
Hi suzieque, I am nearly your neighbour at Llangurig. I am off to get some Sussex pullets from Rosie Posie very soon.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »
Oh yes  :D :D :D

Do you ever go into Llani?

I go there every weekend - usually Saturday mornings to run my errands and have a coffee in the Great Oak Cafe.

There's a big market on this Saturday..... much bigger than usual. They are trying to resurrect the original market there.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS