Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ebay eggs  (Read 10963 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
ebay eggs
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:57:23 am »
I never knew you could buy fertilised eggs on ebay until I saw it on this forum.
Will they work (if they work at all) on a broody or would I need an incubator for them?
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: ebay eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »
I can't see there being a difference at all.

Helen

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »
Hi Sally. How long has your broody been afflicted?

You can buy 'fertilized' eggs off ebay, but it's a total gamble, what with rogue traders ripping off the people that are new to the game and most of them packing the eggs in polyboxes and little else. Over charging on postage to extract a few more quid and in many case not only don''t they hatch, but some are not even the breed you bid on.
I should post on here what you are looking for and I'm sure an honest seller will be able to help you.

Eggs will hatch under a broody as well as in an incubator, but you need to be geared up for incubator hatching with a brooder box and lamp.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:17:13 pm »
CF,
She has been broody for a couple of days. I have been removing her from the nest but she keeps going back. I'm not sure yet that I want to go down the route of getting eggs for her but was just exploring the possibility.
Sally

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:44:17 pm »
Why didn't you say something yesterday, we have fertilised eggs here, might be Heinz 57, but might have satisfied her.
On the subject of ebay eggs. I purchased 6 Aylesbury duck eggs and now have 4 healthy ducklings at 4 weeks old. A good tip is look at the feedback from other purchasers. :chook: :&>
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »
Just never thought of it yesterday but thanks anyway Kaz,
Sally

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »
We've tried hatching from EBAY eggs, with not much success, probably less than 10% & not always what was expected either  :o
I agree that there are some unscrupulous folk out there & as Kaz says - look for the feedback before you buy.  You may find it better to go through breed clubs if you are looking for something specific - they may find you a local supplier, if not be able to put you intouch with a reputable breeder who is willing to put some hatching eggs in the post for you.
Alternatively, you could put a post on here  ;D
Another tip, if you do get hatching eggs through the post or have travelled far with them etc. let them settle for 24 hours before you set them.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:24:48 pm »
I buy eggs of  e bay and find that most of the times the hatching rates is at least 50% and sometimes I have attained 100% . The best results this year have been under a broody its a good service if you want a specific breed that is maybe difficult to get in your area. 
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »
eggs e bay other the posting off eggs has gone dawn the sorting office has drum sorting wich turns the boxes round and round a member contacted me this week he spent £600 pounds on eggs .this is the doos and dont get eggs in a 100 mile radious onley get  12s not 6 iv bought utilatey out off 12 i got 3 out off 12 i got 5 naw iff its a cock you need result .iv sold eggs and all sems fine .next yere i will sex the chicks and sell for £2.50 each sext link.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:33:43 pm »
Have bought eggs through ebay with very mixed results - the best were from somone called 'ken21' (or similar), which were true and a good hatch rate.  Always let them settle for 24 hours before putting under a broody.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:54:29 pm »
This idea that you need to let eggs 'settle' for 24 hours is an old/young wives tale it makes no difference whatsoever.

Do it if it makes you feel better, but the eggs will be another 24 hours older, so thats the downside.

When the eggs go into an incubator or under a hen the egg is turned/tilted anyway.

I don't suppose anyone has tested this theory, it's just posted as a matter of fact and it's rubbish.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »
I've bought and sold eggs through ebay. I've had good results and I've had bad. There are some dodgy sellers but there are also some very good people selling through ebay. We have had some excellent feedback from buyers an ebay and locally. It is frustrating that whenever ebay and hatching eggs is mentioned is is usually in a negative way though I can understand why.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 06:09:04 pm »
Thankyou all for your responses.  I am still undecided whether to do it or not but I might just try it to see what happens. It depends on the situation with my broody and if I can find another run for her and the prospective chicks.
Sally

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:25 pm »
Hi Biobic, we've had great success with Muscovy eggs from various suppliers but we did have some hens which were not what we ordered.  Best to get eggs from someone on TAS.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 07:18:56 pm »
Yes Sally - you need to get her settled in her own little hutch and run. We bought a little triangular broody hutch and run (see pic) and put her in it in the hen paddock so that she could still see them.

Once we were happy that she was settled we got eggs from a local supplier forty minutes up the road (Rosie Posie on here). We had 100% fertilisation rate. Unfortunately one didn't make it on the day but we have six healthy cuckoo maran chicks now and they are a delight.

But it is a commitment
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS