Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubator too hot?  (Read 3077 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Incubator too hot?
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:53 pm »
After reading couple threads on here re incubators running wrong I have placed a thermometer nr the eggs. Thermometer on top of brines Eco 20 is 37.8 nr eggs is 40! Eggs on day 6 and last lot hatched ok- do I need to turn it down a bit or see what happens? Have some croad langshan eggs I've been wanting for ages so want as good hatch rate as I can get!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Incubator too hot?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:19 pm »
Hiya funky fish, dont recognise the name of your breed, but I have my eco 20 set at 37.4 for hens eggs and had an OK (I think) hatch rate (my booklet said 37.4-37.5) - 14/20.    My problem ha been getting the brood box up to the recommended 35 for the first week - I have one of those ceramic bulbs and I'm really struggling.  Chicks seem to be doing OK though. Good luck, Fi

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:14:49 pm »
Hi Funkyfish. Is your checking thermometer properly calibrated? Unless you are using a clinical thermometer (like nurses use) you can't rely on it. I calibrated one we have in the cellar as it was 2 degrees out. Then compared it to the one in the greenhouse which was 4 degrees out!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:57 am »
Its a brinsea octagen- damn auto correct changes words to something random!

Used a clinical digital thermometer- but good point I don't use them at work as don't think they r accurate. Will not worry for now x

Thanks!!!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:18:06 am »
funky fish - we do have the same one - do you have instructions (it is a nightmare to programme!) - if not I could photocopy and send you mine (not that they are entirely clear ??? ) - PM me if address if you want a copy.  Cheers, Fi

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS