Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: broody duck :O  (Read 3923 times)

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
broody duck :O
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »
our broody duck has a minimum of 14 eggs i think its a few more :o  was shocked the duck would go broody to begin with again as the pig separated the rabbit hutch we put her in and ate her eggs, yesterday she had 4 eggs today she has gained a minimum of 10, well the ducks will have to go next door tonight i think :&> :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: broody duck :O
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:28:10 pm »
I am surprised, too that she is so determined! They are easily scared off their eggs and mine never go back into their accommodation to sit, only try nesting outdoors. Trying to move them has failed at all times, so well done! The other ducks are very clever - they share the workload with the broody  ;D :&>

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »
I've only had one duck go broody and I couldn't break her for love nor money. Bit embarrassing to lose a battle of wills with a hormonal duck but she stuck it out for over 40 days. I caved in the end and gave her some day olds and she was a great mum.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »
Blow me, my  ducks are put out if I wear sandals instead of wellies :o   You should breed and market your ducks I think ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:49:12 pm »
Yes, I'm always sad if I have to break the drive to nest outdoors but it is simply not an option. When I let OH be in charge one summer my favourite (sadly gone now  :'( ) tried for 27 days well hidden, then she abandoned the eggs. Maybe they had died ...so for us it's a blessing that the current sitter (a few days to go for 3 eggs according to the candler) came to it out of boredom in her isolation cell after injuring her foot in March... ::) :&>
Blow me, my  ducks are put out if I wear sandals instead of wellies :o   You should breed and market your ducks I think ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :&> :&>
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:51:06 pm by northfifeduckling »

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:06 pm »
Mine do not take to change either!

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »
i am quite sad with moving and all, the pig broke into my pekin cage, releasing them to the ex batts (dont like other birds) and there 3 large cocks, so the only cage to put them in was with broody duck, unfortunatly some of the hens stole he nest and kicked away her eggs, after rebuilding her nest some of the eggs where cold (well most of them) and now i dont think they will hatch :(

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14:23 pm »
When are they due? Have you tried candling them?

Mine took foster ducklings very well (I think after 40+ days she'd have taken anything mind!).

If you could get hold of some day olds that might keep her happy but you would have to be happy to raise them yourself if she didn't take to them.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:37 am »
she hasnt actually be sitting for too long, she kept on rebuilding a nest, i think its about 2 weeks, cannot candle as havent got one (yet) plus i could only just touch her eggs when she was drinking, she went for me and sat back down, now she wont drink or eat untill i am out of the cage, and as soon as i start to open the door she goes to sit back down  again ::)
... smart duck

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:49 am »
oops forgot to sign my mum out, and havent got brooder or incy yet, waiting to save enough money up

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS