Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thank you singing shearer!  (Read 3902 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Thank you singing shearer!
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:23 pm »
What a nice bunch! Thank you for doing a grand job! See you later in the year or early next!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Thank you singing shearer!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:15 pm »
Anyone north of the Midlands got a date for Philip to be passing by?  I'm hoping he'll be coming my way to clip a batch of ours and show me how to hand-shear, but don't have a date - and of course now we're having proper summer weather, we're desperate to get all the girls' heavy coats off.  (If he's not coming for a while, I think I'll have to arrange for a friendly hill farm to let me clip some of their sheep with Philip!)

He's a busy man at the moment of course, so hasn't been able to get back to me with an idea of date - for which I can hardly blame him, I couldn't give him any real guidance on when we'd need him - some years we start clipping around Easter-time, last year we clipped late July!  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:47 pm »
I've asked him back too - he puts together 'routes' so am waiting to hear when he's doing a northern one. I imagine he's too busy to breathe right now! I did get a reply saying it was great to have a request which was not for the first week in June  :D

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:51:23 pm »
We had a visit today too, lovely chap and such efficiency. I was very impressed and am ever grateful  :)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:44:24 pm »
Does he actually sing as he shears?

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »
Not to my knowledge but he doesn't slum a dirty pen either - whatever that means.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:25:01 am »
They are lovely aren't they. Philip came to us after huge catastrophies with other shearers who either made a shoddy job of it or cut the sheep to ribbons or both. Phil does a fantastic clip and handles the sheep really well. Jayne entertains whilst he's working up a sweat with sheepy tales and a little juicy gossip. Can you sing Phil?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:18 am »
Looking forward to meeting Philip - due to see us Friday. The sheep can't wait - poor things are so woolly!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 09:47:12 am »
Where are you toaster? You must be close to us  if he saw us both on the same day?

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:32 am »
Where are you toaster? You must be close to us  if he saw us both on the same day?

I am not far from Towcester Northamptonshire  :wave:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »
Hi Philip.....any chance of getting to Somerset/Devon before 14th? Desperate to move sheep as too many here and 3 acres of lush long grass down the road waiting for them.....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS