Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on preventing fly strike please  (Read 5287 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Advice on preventing fly strike please
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 12:18:43 am »
As I understand it you are supposed to keep all empty bottles etc for a set period - two years?  This is in case of disease presumably, or contaminated med batches, when the actual stuff can be tested.  I think it is inviting disaster to have old and half used bottles hanging around so I am going to dispose of mine whenever they are replaced with new.  No-one has ever asked to see my old bottles  ::) Maybe I've got it wrong and I will be done for having old meds hanging around  ;D

Hi Sally, please don't take offence when I mention that SOME farmers are bad at storing meds  :bouquet:  - I did say that some are good.  As with people everywhere, some are bad, some are good; some smallholders are bad, some are good.  Some farmers don't mind in the least being asked for medicines to treat their neighbours animals, for the reasons you give, but others find it can wear a bit thin treating someone else's animals when many meds cost a fair bit.  Certainly if someone with just a few animals has a kindly neighbour who is happy to treat their stock in with their own, then they are lucky to have such a person.  But to EXPECT 'a local farmer', whoever the lucky chap may be, to provide meds for you has to be wrong, or at least thoughtless.  As for poor storage - well, maybe it's because I spent my working life nursing in hospitals but I have seen some sights on farms which have made my hair stand on end - and I include smallholdings in with 'farms'  :o   So for me, being independant where meds are concerned is a principle I stick by, and I wanted to put the alternative view to 'ask a local farmer'
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 03:29:59 am »
Hi Sally, please don't take offence
Never!  :-* :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 01:53:00 pm »
The companys that make benches and stuff out of wrap do a collection for plastic worming containers etc,
I think theres alot of meds out there, and usually POMs at that, that do cross species, its not a bad thing, as long as you know what you are doing and are taught properly, even vets take a step beyond sometimes....
We keep our meds either in the fridge or in Bs big shed  :)
I dont think your supposed to share meds are you? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS