Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse? 8 weeks after lambing?  (Read 3491 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Prolapse? 8 weeks after lambing?
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:02 am »
My son noticed late last night that one of the shearings that prolapsed before lambing (which was 8 weeks ago) is showing signs of another prolapse!  She has been fine after lambing and we'd kept a close eye on her for a couple of weeks but is up in the top pasture with the rest of them.  She's probably put a bit of weight on with all the grass around (she just has a single lamb).  We will get them in tonight and have a closer look. What do you think - put a spoon in?  Needless to say she will not be in the flock for long (she is also only milking on one side).
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Prolapse? 8 weeks after lambing?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »
I think there have been no answers because none of us are sure.

It's certainly not usual; I'd expect the uterus to have shrunk back to the size of a walnut (I think that's its resting size, someone will correct me if it's an apple!) by now and there not to be anything to protrude.

It could be some of her intestines, in which case it needs putting back where it belongs but I don't think a spoon is the answer; I'd be turning to my vet books and if they didn't tell me, turning to the vet.

Sorry I don't know the answer off the top of my head.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »
It needs washed  and stitched in with 6mm tape , rare this late but it doe's happen had 2 this year ,one 10days after lambing one 3wks after  :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:02:34 pm »
Yeh, I had one prolapse this sort of time after lambing too.

I agree, it wants stitching (by the vet!).

I'd think about whether or not you want to keep her too - unless she's amazingly valuable I'd advise not. There's some thinking that a certain percentage of prolapse-tendency is hereditary, certainly in the Rough Fells I used to keep which are rather too prone to prolapsing  :P 

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »

[size=78%]Hmm well after closer inspection - its not a vaginal prolapse - its coming out of her anus!  Given her some anti-b's and will ring the vet in the morning (the trouble with working for a living as well as having stock is the delays in contacting the vet).  She is eating and seems bright but obviously something is very wrong.  Will keep you up dated.[/size]

[size=78%]Thank you all for your replies - and yes Jaykay she won't be kept, and her lamb may get a big F for freezer marked on her ![/size]
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:15:10 pm »
This too happens, normally at the same time as a cervix prolapse, again needs stitched in  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS