Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling your eggs  (Read 17065 times)

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
Selling your eggs
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:35 pm »
Interested in what we should be charging for half a dozen eggs?

Thank you

:chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Selling your eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:06 pm »
Mine are kept in a fenced run so aren't truly free range - I charge £1 per half dozen (actually I ask for contributions to their food bill of anything over 70p and usually get £1), but Rosemary told me the other day that a few others charge £1.50.  In economics it is a well known principle that you should charge high then you can lower it whilst charging low to begin with means customers are unhappy about increases.  So I think I should have done more market research as you are doing! lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48:54 pm »
I charge £1 per 1/2 doz. I could chatge a bit more, but am selling enough to cover feed.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:50:36 pm »
I agree - it's less than the best supermarket eggs so a reasonable sum I feel.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:57:22 pm »
How much would 6 duck eggs sell for? Do you think if I was to put a sign up in the hotel selling my duck eggs I would get into any trouble with the authorities????

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:14:10 pm »
i didn't think there were any restrictions in selling your eggs unless you were grading them for size and claiming they were free range/organic

also, if you are buying them in to sell them, then it might be a bit more complicated.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:25:06 pm »
We sell our eggs at £1.50 per half dozen and never seem to have enough eggs to cope with the demand. We arrived at our figure by not only costing feed and bedding but also the capital cost of housing,fencing, buying birds etc. If we were to factor in time as well they would actually need to be considerably more but we have approached it as a hobby which more or less pays for itself as opposed to a profitable business.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
The duck eggs are exempt from the packing regs with hen eggs. same goes for geese quail turkeys and other minority species.. you will not get in trouble by selling them. Have a look at the main retailers prices. £1.80 per six. local farmers about £1.50 but these have the shop markup.

if you want to sell your hens eggs at the gate or to friends or door to door you don't need to worry. if you were going to sell in shops/schools or other places then you would need to be registered with the egg folks. you would need to be registered as a production unit and as a packing centre. Have a word with the animal health people at your local council ours are very friendly. If you have more than 200 birds then i think these rules apply even if your just selling at the door. Not forgetting to be registered with defra as a bird keeper. Again not a big deal. But useful in case of a decease outbreak you will be informed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:10:37 pm by shetlandpaul »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 02:35:24 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I have now ordered egg boxes off e bay and I will start trying to sell  my duck eggs as soon as they arrive. I am friendly with our local trading standards lady so have e mailed her and asked her opinion.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:34:29 pm »
think i need to review my prices only charging 60p 1/2 dozen my chicken eggs ::)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:48:14 pm »
think what you put into the little feathered things. they are premium quality egg layers. if the general public want to spend a £ on six battery eggs. So £1-1.50 is a very reasonable price for your well loved chucks eggs. If we let people think we are selling cheap eggs they will think that the eggs are poor to. But its upto you to decised. But when covering your costs its more than just feed its housing/ replacements/vets ect. We worked out we were breaking even at about 80p per six.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09:55 pm »
I charge £1.50 per half dozen as does my chum, Carol. We sell them no problem. I used to give them away but they're an expensive hobby if you do that - and folk are happy to pay for a premium product. Why be shy about it?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »
Hello,

We sell chicken & duck eggs at £1 per half dozen. Indeed they're too cheap but it gets people in to shop where they often buy our pork & beef.

Cheers

Gavin

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I have now ordered egg boxes off e bay and I will start trying to sell  my duck eggs as soon as they arrive. I am friendly with our local trading standards lady so have e mailed her and asked her opinion.

I sell my duck eggs for the same price -  £1 per 6. 

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 11:07:19 pm »
Thank you all for your replies.

L

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS