Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling your eggs  (Read 17107 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Selling your eggs
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:29 am »
dont forget to add the cost of  the box on. your lucky on the mainland we have very high carrage charges.

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 10:29:58 am »
We charge £1.10p for 6 and they sell very well. We only sell them at the gate at weekends and when we have more than our own needs. We also have a notice asking for any spare egg boxes and we have been given loads - some of them new ones. It doesn't cover the cost of equipment etc. but pays for their feed.
best of luck to you.
Brenda

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 11:51:37 am »
wow! £1-50 for half a dozen. no wonder I can't keep pace with demand. I only charge 60p and I have people waiting. i think it's time I put my prices up.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:30 pm »
your charging 20p cheaper than battery eggs. But if your happy that what matters. The hens that we have are happy compared to those in large commercial factories. Whats sad is that my daughter home education teacher believes that batery hens are happy in their cages. The daughter offered to bring in some for free but the woman was not intrested.
the only drawback with charging at low prices is that folks will not be happy when you increase your price.

Wellieboots

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:05:22 am »
£1.40 per half dozen is oor price. Cheaper than the superthiefs but it covers feed etc. & we always ask for boxes to be returned. Only really sell to friends/family/work folks so not a problem getting the boxes back.

Ross

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 03:14:22 am »
I charge £1.50 per box, and I sell out at around 1000-1200 boxes per month. We sell all we can produce.
If you charge considerably less than the prevailing market price, people do not view you as a "proper" producer and will think that your product is somehow "less" than that available in the shops. Not a fair assumption, but what if someone offered you a new car, or coat or brand new laptop at less than half the retail price- honest, it is brand new- wouldn't you wonder if there was something amiss?
There is no problem in the world that cannot be fixed by the judicious application of the appropriate hammer.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 11:30:42 am »
My  boxes arrived from E Bay this morning so I am now selling the ducks eggs from today. They are £1.50 for 6 and I have put a lebel on the box asking for the bpx to be returned, if possible as this will keep costs down. I got 10 eggs this morning and only have 7 girls so well done to them.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 12:17:02 pm »
dont forget the sell by date is three weeks after they are laid use by 4 weeks

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »
Ok thanks for that info.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 12:54:46 pm »
Put a small sign advertising the eggs on the bar and I have sold my first 1/2 dozen, much excitement!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »
You won't be able to keep up, James.  I may need to get more ducks! and Hens! :chook: :&>
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 12:46:27 pm »
It feels great, James, doesn't it! Do your girls do a lot of double lays :&>? I think I only had that twice in the whole year and am still not sure if I had just overlooked them the previous day, lol.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 12:49:09 pm »
They must do, today got 8 which is one per girl. Yesterday I sold 8 lots of 6 eggs, so only have 12 to sell today!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 05:40:53 pm »
I write the 'lay' date on each egg in pencil after washing in running water if required, and al most all my boxes come back.  Plus I put a request on free-cycle and got inundated - have enough boxes to last a while now.  No duck eggs this morning fro some reason, but yesterday morning two had flown over the run gate and Allez was chasing after them trying to retrieve them.  He sat to the whistle and I picked them up and put them back in but they might have had a scare.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 07:51:42 pm »
sorry to say this washing the egg reduces them to class b. you cant sell class b eggs to the public. if the egg is mucky try rubbing it off . if they are very dirty reserve for your own use. the odd bit of muck adds to the country freshness anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS