Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flubenvet  (Read 16032 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Flubenvet
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:54 am »
Hi all,

Wonder if somebody can decode how to use this! Sad thing is, I did my ducks with it last year but look at the instructions and it's like a foreign language again!!

I've 5 Indian Runners, fed on pellets & mixed corn. Can anyone share with me how they've administered Flubenvet pretty please!!

Thanks all,

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Flubenvet
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:15:06 am »
For our chooks I make a mash. I mix the flubenvet powder well into the dry mash and add water, stir it around to crumbly and then just trust to luck that the chickens well all eat roughly an equal share.

The person who invents a single dose wormer for chickens and ducks should get the Nobel Prize for common sense in my view.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:41:16 am »
If feeding pellets, add a little olive oil to the measured amount of pellets and mix well. This should encourage the flubenvet, when added, to stick to the pellets. Sprinkle in throughout mixture and give good stir.

I use Marriages Layers pellets with added Flubenvet when it is time for worming. So much easier and I dont think expensive unless maybe you have hundreds of chickens. Always think worming hens is a bit of a lottery .... did the powder mix in evenly? ..... have they eaten enough? .... etc. At least with the pre-prepared pellets one aspect is taken care of. You can order the Marriages if not available locally.

Not sure where you are?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:49:13 am »
I agree with the above and all the queries about measuring - why on earth the drug companies can't make something more user friendly is beyond me - you think you breathe half of it in when you're mixing it  ::) best to use Marriages but if not then its a scoop to a 25kg bag of feed (if I remember correctly) - I'm due to worm them all in June although I do worm new ducklings and their mums at around 3-4 weeks old by putting a tinsy bit in their breadcrumbs mixed with milk which they yummy up. ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:30:23 am »
What In The Hills says  :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »
We have been doing the same as 'In the hills' for the last 18 months. Premix (10Kg bags) is best and if we run short I mix powder with Olive Oil and mix to feed. There should be no free ranging to be sure that they get the full dose. Problem is our hens hate that and one became very stressed as a result of being in the run for 7 days. She became ill and didn't recover.

We are trying an alternative. A scoop of Flubenvet is enough for 2Kg of feed or two large fowl for 7 days. We will add the scoop to olive oil to make a thin paste and give each a shot every morning when let out instead. Have already tried this with a sick cockerel (using cod liver oil with multivitamins instead) and it worked extremely well. He was badly wormed and showed great improvement within a day -still got the 7 days though. Within 3 days his poos were completely normal.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:11 pm »
Marriages do layers pellets with flubenvet already added. Doesnt work out any more expensive because you would be feeding them anyway. At  least that way you know they got their share.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:28 pm »
Yep, I buy the Marriages stuff - feed for 7-10 days, job done. Just watch the use by dates though.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:22:20 pm »
OMG Clearly I have missed the simplest solution! Right, get me the number for Windmill Feeds....bag of marriages it is!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:32:33 pm »
Cripes - never knew about the Marriages stuff!!! Another one notched up to the forum.

:-))

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »
SPR Poultry deliver at a reasonable rate if you dont have a marriage stockist local.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »
Yes, I get mine from SPR. The Marriage's pellets make the job sooooo easy  :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »
Pants!!!! Have just bought a large tub of Flubenvet powder which will probably last us a year! :-( but I'll know what to do when the time comes

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »
If I use Flubenvet mixed in with the corn feed most of the thieving wild birds around here must be getting wormed at the same time.... ::) ::)

I wonder why it has to be done over 7 days, most animals get one dose and that's that.  If using a 'drop' on then it's only the once. How do you know they have had the right dose?

Chris - is there a reason why the oil/Flubenvet mix can't be given in one dose.

I don't use pellets as the birds were eating those even faster and I prefer my hens to have a more natural feed.  I have homemade pheasant feeders and the henny's peck at those for their feeds - it has cut down the amount the birds get - though some have learnt how to peck it out of the feeders. >:( >:(
You are never to old to learn something new

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »
Mine are on a grain diet but once a year i get some pellets/flubenvet mix as we have a lot of pheasants round here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS