Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do pigs like pineapple?  (Read 7059 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Do pigs like pineapple?
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:10 am »
I also wondered if the sharpness was too much for them.  I know they can't have citrus fruits or parsnips.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Do pigs like pineapple?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:02 am »
Hi Sally

There'll be some pigs like 'em - there's a pig likes most things except onions, leeks, etc.

They can have parsnips, but like potatoes they're best boiled to get the most out of them and not interfere with protein absorption.

They can have citrus too - Meg-pig loves oranges, peels them with her snout and wooffles down the flesh.  Her daughters don't like citrus though.

As with anything, it's best to feed no one thing to excess.

I can't 100% certainly remember feeding pineapples to the pigs I used to help look after that got the fruit, bread, cakes & veg from the local supermarket, but I can certainly remember them getting mango, guava, ...   :)

Unless you've to decide whether to sign a contract for regular tonnes of pineapples, I'd just try them.   If they like them, let them have some!  I expect you'll need to cut them open the first few times, so they realise they're edible.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:04:38 am »
For some reason, this is in Poultry??
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:09:02 am »
Thats for pigs with feathers, so they can fly.......

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:39 am »
Don't know about pigs but our Turkeys love pineapple.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:36:08 am »
My pigs, like pineapple too, and parsnips, it's the leaves on parsnips that you shouldn't feed to pigs as it causes an acid type burn to their mouth, parsnips themselves are ok though, I've never given them oranges?

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:09:28 pm »
I think the thinking behind the no citrus is something to do with effect on fertility  ???
BUT having said that all of mine love pretty much all fruit and most veg (they're not keen on onions or leeks) as long as you just give a little bit and not 3 pineapples each all in one go, you'll be fine  :thumbsup:
Too much of anything isn't good for them and might lead to 'tummy troubles' - a bit like us  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »
with the onions and leeks    they cause blisters on the mouth and can be mistaken for foot and mouth at the slaughter house    if they are hungry enough they will eat anything
and yes it is on the poultry section    may be bionic is so excited at getting pigs ;) :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:55:20 pm »
My pigs love pineapples, also oranges which I feed in moderation. They don't get a chance at parsnips, they go into spicy parsnip soup :yum:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »
Thankyou everyone for answering my question, despite it being in the poultry section.  I wondered where it had gone to  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »
Pig certainly goes very well with pineapple  :yum: :yum:  :o ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:56:35 pm »
Thats a point fleecewife.  Perhaps I won't need to add any pineapple rings to my gammon steak  ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »
Thats a point fleecewife.  Perhaps I won't need to add any pineapple rings to my gammon steak  ;D ;D

;D ;D :pig:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS