Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to keep a fox away!  (Read 1915 times)

Lagmore

How to keep a fox away!
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »
Hi All.

I have lost a couple of hens over the last few weeks to a bloody fox - he never comes during the day and as long as everyone on in their sheds by dusk everything seems to be OK. the problem i have got is one of my bantams has gone broody and is sitting deep in one of the hedges and i cannot get to her to move her - is there anything i could be doing to scare foxes from this area?

robert waddell

Re: How to keep a fox away!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:45:34 pm »
shoot it :farmer:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
 here are my twopen'rth:

Electric fencing around the run
Dog
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:57:56 pm »
Can you not hook her out with a walking stick or similar? If you do it at dusk she will probably settle into a broody coop with her eggs. Hook them out gently too.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
I'd do whatever you can to get her out, including cutting some of the hedge. The fox will get her!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »
He will get her or some other predator will. We have lost a hen this year that was sitting out but couldnt be found. She only managed two nights out and then we found a pile of feathers ..... in a sort of burrow deep in our neighbours hedge. Eggs were still there. We were really upset and had searched the hedge with our neighbour the day before .... just so well hidden.

Try all you can to get her out.  :(

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:37:11 pm »
I've just lost two hens to the badger presumably. They must have been sitting or sleeping near where their old shed used to be, and in the one night where I did not check if they are home in the new shed, he must have come, all whats left is two piles of feathers over the lawn, 10 meters from one of our houses  >:(
I am sure it was the badger, cause they are incredibly spreading in the moment and there are footprints and muddy tracks everywhere around and under fences. He never comes in daylight either to say hello, better for him, I'd hit him with something then.... my neighbour also lost 5 hens in one week....
get Your ladies home or remove the predators is IMHO the best advice...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS