Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: STOLEN PIGS  (Read 8331 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: STOLEN PIGS
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 08:38:22 pm »
Yes, we have a good word for that north of the border, its 'glaikit'.  Some people don't give a tamworth about their livestock and wouldn't realise if the whole hog were swiped from under their snout. :pig:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:30 pm »
i suppose if they had 400 or more they might not notice? ???

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »
if glakit had a lot of pigs i could see how he would not notice for a while but they must have have been taking the feeding piecemeal as well :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:41 pm »
The thing is, you'd notice (even one pig going missing) and you'd do something about it......... wouldn't you ?
Wee CCTV cameras cost less than £100 or if you really were totally skint you'd be sleeping in the shed !
There is something weird about it  :-\

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 11:25:21 pm »
all thefts are weird and the subsequent police involvement is weird   :farmer:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 08:21:22 pm »
Perhaps the pigs did a "great escape"! Every day a few pigs left, carrying some feed, and leaving dummy pigs in their place!
Could be the sequel to "Chicken run" ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 10:46:38 am »
Superb td  ;D - get on to ardman productions now!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 06:05:27 pm »
Even with commercial herds we always have feed charts with the number and type of pigs in each paddock, so an accurate count is done every day at feeding. I have charts for the smaller rare breeds and wild boar here as well.
The only thefts I have had to date have been batteries for the fencing units, with so many visitors to the farm, and several well used paths, there is ample opportunity for the dishonest community to plan minor raids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS