Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin  (Read 19171 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:36 am »
Aarrggghh.

As you know, fleas live in the bedding, not on the animal (they jump on to feed and then off again), so you have to treat the surroundings too.

Muck out, burn the straw. Clean very thoroughly, flame thrower if possible, dust corners with permethrin. Treat Faith at least.

Chances are the fleas have come from cats or dogs, so treat any of those that have access to the goat byre too.

What a pain, you could have done without this  :-*

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 03:16:48 pm »
Thanks JayKay. Any suggestions what I should use for Faith?
Do you think it would be safe to use half strength puppy
Shampoo on Martin, as he is only 2 1/2 weeks old.
Thanks. Suzanne.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
I wouldn't use anything on Martin, as it will upset Faith. Concentrate on getting them under control elsewhere. You could use dog spot-on on Faith I think but check with the vet as there might be residues in her milk - don't know if you can use it on lactating bitches but the vet know if this is safe.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:37 pm »
Well we did muck out daily anyway and gave her fresh straw daily. Tell me I am mad if you wish but I bought her a waterproof camping mattress! Pressure care!! It seems to be working well. However she is still looking awful when we put her on her 'bad side'. Then again she looks great when sitting up. Her appetite is still great. She could eat apples for Ireland! (a new Olympic sport!) She is eating grain well now also but not taking much in fluids. Martin thrives.
However, we still have not solved the 'visitors' problem. I went to the vetinary chemist today and they gave me a dusting powder that I am meant to be able to use for both of them and the goat shed, it's Nettex Louse Powder, has anyone used it for their goats? I plan to put sterile straw bedding in for Martin when we sort the problem.
He is jumping on his Mom a lot at the moment and i'm sure it's not doing her any good! but I don't want to separate them too much! Just to give her a rest!!

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »
Well we have been busy. Mucking out, changing straw, buying air mattresses! trying Nettex Louse Powder with great trepidation! The weather was fine on Saturday afternoon, though cold despite the sunshine. Faith was out on her mattress and sat on the grass for a couple of hours. We stood her a few times and she tried a couple of steps, but soon got tired, you could just tell she would love to go for a run!  Poor Girl.
I started her on a tonic recommended by the chemist which is meant to lift her mood! (I'll try anything I can for her!)
Martin is fine a healthy and flea free!!! Bouncing all over the place! He goes into a dog crate with his bed inside at night to stop him jumping on her, but he is next to her and they can see one another. He made a bed himself from day 1 in a corner behind Faith.
Faith is still very debilitated when on her bad side. I am still hoping. She is still eating, peeing and pooing well, and she 'chats' away to Martin and to us. You would be in no doubt that she was looking for ginger biscuits or apples! That message is certainly clear! :P

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 06:59:49 am »
Things sound good - I hope you can get her up and moving again, it sounds promising that she can walk at least a few steps  :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 10:21:44 am »
Your dedication to Faith is very touching, I hope she continues to make progress for you  :goat: :thumbsup:

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »
Hi All,
Faith has made some progress in that she is kicking with all four legs when we try to turn her onto her bad side, she still doesn't like it. She had an abscess burst under her eye during the week, and it is beginning to look better. She is taking rehydration fluid as much as she can get. Still eating apples like there is no tomorrow. I have to tell you that value ginger nuts don't cut the mustard! We have to go for the label!
Unfortunately the weather has not been good enough to take her outside, although tomorrow looks promising. I won't be able to stand her though as OH is in Twickenham............ and a very happy man at that! I am still exercising her back legs, which certainly seem to have more purposeful movement. Martin is growing like a weed, and running around the paddock when we take him out for a bit of exercise. He is still suckling, although I'm not sure Faith is producing much milk at this stage, however, he is still trying, so there must be something. They 'chat' away whilst I'm in there doing turns feeds mucking out. There is a different voice when she is talking to him rather than to me!
Lets hope the sun shines tomorrow!:)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:01 am »
The sun's certainly shining here this morning after a horrid day yesterday, so hope it is with you too.

It sounds promising that Faith is kicking her legs and eating well and I'm sure little Martin being around is keeping her cheerful too.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2012, 11:14:22 am »
I keep checking this thread in hope of good news about Faith - and it is good news that she is thriving despite her problems.  I am so impressed with your constant care and commitment to her and she should certainly make a full recovery if effort (yours and hers) has anything to do with it.

Perhaps a few days of sunshine (if such a thing is possible!) will make all the difference.  Keep going and keep posting updates, please.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
At least she is making some progress and Martin seems to be doing fine. A lot of work for you but that is what we do when our animals need our help. Keep up the good work   :thumbsup:

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 12:09:29 am »
Hi All,
Sorry I've not posted for a while......... just so busy. Faith still continues to make slow but steady progress.
She used to look like she was about to breath her last when laid on her 'bad side', now she can sit up and look over her shoulder. The sunshine has been great for her, but we are back to rain. She still gets very tired and everything is an effort then.  She stood with a little assistance today. She stood! Previously we had stood her and balanced her against us.She has gained strength and can kick up a right fuss if she feels service is falling below par!
Martin is fine and bold and into mischief!
We had a problem last week when I thought she had mastitis, but her teat was just blocked, that resolved and she feed for about 6 days and now it has happened again! I'll have to call the vet again in the morning! Her teats are really engorged. I'll need to phone first thing or they my burst!
However as things go we are full of Hope for Faith!
As it also goes I'll be handing my pay cheque to the vet again this month!!!
Goodnight.
Suzanne.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 12:37:09 am »
So pleased Faith is feeling well enough to stand!  Not good about the mastitis though.  Is Martin still feeding from Faith or are you milking her too?  To be honest, I am surprised she has milk at all, with her being ill!!

Fingers crossed the mastitis is sorted quickly.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 07:32:30 am »
Thanks Roxy. Vet said last week that it wasn't mastitis as there is no problem with the milk when the blockage is freed. There is no redness heat or tissue swelling associated with it just enforcement like she needs to be milked. She cannot be milked though! Three of us have tried last night. Just waiting for 9am now.
Suzanne.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:10 pm »
Why can't she be milked Suzanne?
she won't let you or the milk won't come out?
One of mine had a blockage and it took quite a bit of pressure but a little bit of 'rubbery' stuff came out, then she was fine, I was told bits from inside the udder occasionaly slough away and it doesn't mean theres a problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS