Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin  (Read 19151 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »
Sometimes one feels that the cards are stacked against you..... but it will all turn round in time !!!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 11:26:26 pm »
So sorry to hear about Faith.  Not sure if you have read my post about Jinty our Anglo Nubian goatling, who contracted Listeria 3 weeks ago.  She was flat out for over two weeks, paralysed down one side, and even her mouth and tongue were affected.  She was really bad, and things looked bleak, and to be honest, I did wonder if we would get her on her feet again ....but .....three days ago, the miracle happened for Jinty.  I will post an update under goats, about her.

So, just want to say, don't give up hope.  Getting fluids into sick goats is a priority, although easier said than done, but Jinty seemed to like the calf powders, and also, I have been giving her ready mash extra, which we use for our older pony.  You mix it with water and soak for 5 minutes, either hot or cold.......its got glucose in it, so gives a sick animal some much needed energy.  It was a life saver for Jinty when I was spoon feeding her, but she loved it.  I also have been collecting willow leaves, and she has been eating the bark.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 02:45:44 am »
Thank you Roxy, I had seen your posts, but I had not realised how bad Jinty was, so glad she has improved and hope it continues. Hopefully Faith's story will turn out to be similar.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Hopefully as you say the cards might turn in her/our favour!!

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:06 am »
Poor Faith, she cannot see out of her right eye because it is swollen, so when we turn her on her weaker side she is really in trouble. I don't know if it is wishfull thinking but I do feel her legs are getting a little more tone. She is certainly moving them more. However she still won't drink for me. Tried the molasses and the rehydration fluid. She is not in good form in herself at present!

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I was just reading about how well Jinty is doing and wishing and hoping and praying that some time soon I will be saying the same thing about Faith. We have had a bad few days! I said what I had been told by the vet. So I am very anxious about her. Yesterday morning I went out to her at 6am having left her very cosy at 12 midnight with her straw blanket and little Martin cuddled up beside her after his bottle. She was on the concrete by the door sprawled across a shallow step! My heart stopped...... I thought she was dead. Forty mins later she is sitting up demanding apples and carrots and ginger nuts! She is moving, I don't know how, just pushing herself around with her forelegs I think. She has movement in her back legs but the left is still very weak. She is getting very demanding in what she wants to eat and seems to be hungry for apples all the time. She still wont take oral fluids but the vet said she is not really dehydrated.
I thought about looking for a good nursing home for a few weeks.......... but I'm not sure which of us needs it most.
Husband has been in the stable most of the day for most of the week, and both of us half the night! I am almost concerned that I am going into the hospital smelling of goat! (I don't think so!!!;) )
Hopefully, hopefully we will have good news too some day soon. I'm not sure if it is wishful thinking but I'm sure her legs are getting stronger. Anyone know a good goat physiotherapist?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:37 pm »
Sounds promising.  If she's got the will to get better, and it certainly sounds like she has, then a large percentage of the battle is already won.  Keep us informed.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 12:39:44 am »
Any improvement is good .....no matter how small.  And so long as Faith is eating. even a little, thats good too.  Soaked sugar beet, with plenty of water, may tempt her to take in fluids.  When Jinty was at her worst, I got a large syringe and gave her a drink with that, taking care that she was swallowing, and not choking!!

Do hope Faith is back on her feet very soon.

I can sympathise with you being in the goat shed all the time - thats how I was with Jinty.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »
 :wave:Hi All
Faith is, I'm sure, is getting stronger. But it is very slow. I spoke to one of the consultants at work who's husband is a horse breeder/trainer they have loads of other animals too. She said don't even reassess for 6-8 weeks. If it where a person you would expect to be in pain that long and she won't want to get up because of the pain. She is still moving the legs but not standing. Her willpower has returned she is so determined she won't take anything she doesn't want so if it is not apples carrots or Ginger nuts she's not interested! Little Martin continues to thrive! Thanks to all for good wishes and support....... It does make such a difference.
Thanks,
Suzanne.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 12:08:41 am »
Thats brilliant news .....I remember when I had a back injury (pulled a muscle lifting a feed sack)).  I was surprised just how long I was out of action, and my improvement was very slow, and months later I was still in pain and reluctant to stand for long.

I expect Faith is staying lay down because she knows its painful to stand, but I am sure once the brusing goes down she will get up.  You will have to help her though, as her legs will be weak.  Jinty still has wobbly moments.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »
Hi. Well grateful thanks to Brid for the tip on jam sandwiches with goat supplement, it worked a treat.
Faith had a good day yesterday, but today it looks like her ear and eye are playing up again just as this time
Last week. I think I will ask the vet for more antibiotics today. I think she is banging her head deliberately as she cannot scratch herself, but she won't let me do it for her.
Martin has what look like nits! Just a few but if let go I'm sure there will be loads. What can I use to treat him. Also Faith I'm sure it won't help her situation.
Can anyone help with suggestions please. ???
Thanks a million!

HappyHippy

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »
I can't really help with practical goat advice  :-\ The 'nits' sound like it might be lice, so a parasite treatment would be in order I think.........wait for the goatkeepers to tell you for sure though with him being so little  :thumbsup:
I'll keep sending reiki  ;) :-*

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 12:57:08 pm »
Thank you so much I really appreciate that.
Suzanne :bouquet:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »
I'd ask the vet, the trouble with anything topical is that mum will lick it off - and if it's effective enough to deal with lice that's not going to do her much good, even tea tree oil.
I don't know at what age you can use Dectomax injection which deals with parasites, hence my suggestion you ask the vet.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »
Thanks both. I did ask the vet and she said if I can see them they'll be fleas not lice.
That he is too young for anything topical
Other than puppy flea shampoo. I'm not sure
How well he will react to that but I'll have to try it.
Can't have him being totally uncomfortable as well.
Faith got her injections again. And some Ginger biscuits for
Being good!!
Today hasn't been her best day, but hopefully
Tomorrow will be better.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:43 am »
HELP!
Well as I feared, the few fleas turned into an invasion!
I was so anxious about using the flea shampoo on Martin, that
I spent the evening with a nit comb and put him over my knee
To try and comb them out. I fear I lost the battle and the will to live!
Hours it took. But then guess what by last night Faith was covered too,
I couldn't face combing her out, not that she'd let me!
Can anybody help with advice. I now cannot see the woods for the fleas!!!
We think it may have been the straw! Of course now I have to treat
All the other animals too. That is relatively ok as there are no other
Moms and baby's.
Thanks. Suzanne.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS