Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin  (Read 19169 times)

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
Re: Another poorly new Mom; Faith and baby Martin
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »
The milk won't come out. Also now she is sore too, and the vet won't be here till about 5.30 pm.
She doesn't seem too concerned. I don't want it to turn to mastitis.maybe I'll try again before vets arrival!!! :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 06:43:31 pm »
If hse hasn't been milked it is unlikely that she will let the milk down for you. You could try and see if you can ease her out while the kid is suckling on the other side, otherwise you just will have to persevere.... if she doesn't feed her kid and you cannot get the milk out she will probably get mastitis.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:54 am »
Well no mastitis and problem solved :thumbsup:  blockage cleared.   Martin is not inclined to suckle now! So we milked her and bottled it for him and he is drinking it no problem. We will see how we progress!

BUT................ GREAT NEWS................... We stood Faith balanced her AND SHE WALKED!!!!!!!!!
Her first faltering steps for over 6 weeks! :goat:
She walked fairly well the 1st time about 6 paces, but as she tired so her steps faltered. She managed 4 steps the 2nd time and about 3 the 3rd time!
BUT HEY! SHE WALKED!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
I cried with joy! DB was nearly in tears too!
Goodnight all! :wave:
Suzanne.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2012, 08:46:20 am »
Oh, that's wonderful news  ;D  :thumbsup: and a testament to how well you've looked after her and stuck with her  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I don't suppose the road to recovery will be perfectly straight but she's well on her way it seems  ;D

I'm sooooo glad for you all  ;D

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2012, 10:44:42 pm »
Hi All,
 Just a quick update on Faith................... she is standing independently............ and walking and grazing!!!!! ;D ;D
As yet she has not stood up by herself, but I really trust she will. :fc:   We are so delighted.
Martin is amazed........... he walked beside her, looking at her, as he had never seen her walk. :goat:
So much of her progress is due to my husband who has been the one who has done most of the exercise and physiotherapy.
Thanks so much to you all, for all the support advice and help. :bouquet:
I'll keep you all posted and will continue to keep checking on how you are all doing.
Goodnight :wave:
Suzanne.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2012, 12:36:16 am »
What fantastic news!!  So pleased for you.  I am sure Faith will soon be walking ok.  I suppose Martin will be surprised to see her stood up .....

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2012, 06:50:05 am »
Oh wow, what a result  ;D  :thumbsup:  ;D

I think you two have worked marvels - and she has a very appropriate name  :love: as you didn't give up on her  :thumbsup:

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2012, 03:37:54 pm »
Wonderful news.  Well done for all your hard work and commitment to her.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
Brilliant news.  well done.   :bouquet:

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 10:15:45 pm »
Hi All, :wave:
Just an update. Faith appears to be doing well, Martin is a right little bruiser! :goat: She is walking well, but still gets stuck now and again. She is not able to stand all the time and I think Martin knocks her over fairly often. ::) But she is still making progress.
I tried the pasta, as suggested! Just like crisps, she loves them!!!!!!!! ;D ;D
If we ever get any good weather I'll take some photo's of them.
As Marty is coming up to 3 months, I am going to have to separate them soon, any ideas as to how I can do this without traumatising Faith?

Thanks all,
Suzanne.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:56 am »
Is the wee man castrated? If yes, then just put a hurdle across the pen and put him in there and keep milking the nanny. Needs to be for a while, so he doesn't try and drink again in a few days time...

If you don't need the milk and don't want to keep milking her (and from her state of health as you describe it may be best to give her as much a chance of full recovery as possible and it would be easier for her if she was dry), then just keep them together as he will take less and less milk, or separate and just ease her out for a few days and reduce her feed to hay and water until she is dry. Then slowly start to feed her up a bit.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2012, 10:44:37 am »
Hi All,
Faith is still in milk even though Martin is not suckling from her and is weaned off the bottle also. We have left her for days on end in the hope that she would dry up, bearing in mind that she wouldn't let him suckle previously. We had given her loads of fluids for ages whilst she was still quite sick. But none extra for ages. Martin is not castrated but we will have to get that seen to shortly as he is 3 months now!!!!!!!
We hope to have another fence built and have him in a pen by the end of the month.
A very full udder is hampering Faith's walk. No mastitis thank God, but we cannot leave her too long before we milk her, I thought she would have dried up by now! Any advice please?
Suzanne

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2012, 02:46:13 pm »
Defo milk her....possibly irregular intervals but never leave her for more than 48hrs .  The only time you can stop altogether is when the milk has dropped to about half alitre.
Mastitis can set in quite suddenly.....fly bite can trigger it.... and with a full udder you would be in trouble.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2012, 07:53:21 pm »
Thank you, will do, is there anything we can do to dry her up?
I'd rather she was putting her energy into putting on weight.
She could do with putting some on. :goat:
Many thanks,
Suzanne.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2012, 08:56:22 pm »
No just irregular milking and not emptying the udder completely......this tricks the goat into thinking that milk was surplus and gradually produces less.   Dont stop feeding her.....just reduce the protein level to about 12/14% by diluting it with rolled barley & soaked but well squeezed out Sugar Beet.
This equates to say :  1 scoop coarse mix    ....16%,  1 scoop barley .. 10%, 1 scoop S/beet..7%,  added together = 33%  divide by 3 ..=  11%   .    So you could add a little more coarse mix to increse the protein. Divide this amount of food into 2 or 3 meals.   Add minerals, preferably Brinicombes Balancer, and in a few weeks you will start to see a definite improvement.    I personally would use the round scoop as a measuring aid.     When an animal has lost a lot of weight,  it will take a longer time to recover.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS