Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Change of Use planning permission?  (Read 9767 times)

KatieL

• Joined Apr 2012
Change of Use planning permission?
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:18:06 pm »
Hi,
I have a home with 4 acres of paddock and am thinking of starting up a smallholding breeding pigs.  Do i need to apply for planning permission and do i need to register as a smallholder with an agency?  Please help! - as you can see i have no business brain whatsoever!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Change of Use planning permission?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »
You will need a County Parish Holding Number for keeping pigs, but its only a form to fill in.

I wouldnt ask anyone about the land issues until it arises, if indeed it does.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »
Your paddock is almost certain agricultural unless you know something different so no problem.  I assue you don't have planning permission for 40 houses....

http://rpa.defra.gov.uk/rpa/index.nsf/contentdocs/018D4B9233648D1D48025765C004EF7EE for the CPH no.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

KatieL

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:05 am »
Thankyou.  Doesn't seem quite so scary as i thought!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:22 am »
The only other thing you need to do apart from discover the CPH holding number (CPH stands for county,parish, holding) before the piggies arive is to ring Animal Health at the council to get a herd number for them (UK then 6 digits, this is what goes on ear tags etc).

Also work out which local vet you are planning to use, AH may ask you that. AH will then send you a herd register book and also send out animal health info updates etc for pigs now and then, and may inspect periodically (prob fairly soon to start with and then if you are OK they tend to leave you alone for a while).

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:37 am »
Hi Katie - not too scary at all the paperwork - enjoy!!!  Setting up the area (either VERY stong stockproof fencing or an electric fencing enclosure) to keep the little beauties in and working out what they need to be happy is the exciting  bit!!

Our Animal Health department sent 2 people out from an office 25 miles away (after I had had my herd and flock numbers for about a year), gave me a sheep record book and left - I couldnt entice them to see the animals at all!!!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:24 pm »
Hi we have a house and 5 acres we applied for a CPH number etc as stated in other postswhen we were planning to get our piggies. We only had to apply for change of use and planning permission for the outbuildings we are converting into a cattery.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »
Katie
My best advice would be to do as much research as you can, you say you have no head for business well keeping livestock requires all kinds of skills and you do need some acumen to manage your animals. Why not find a pig keeper near you and ask if you can pay them a visit, that way you would get hands on information and see how things are set up and find about some of the rules and regs too.
I'm in North Yorkshire with GOS pigs and you'd be more than welcome to visit, but it depends where you are in the country, you could put an ask on the pig forum to try to arrange a visit to someone near you.
All the best
mandy :pig:

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:15:56 am »
I'm in North Yorkshire with GOS pigs and you'd be more than welcome to visit...

Is that offer open to anyone thinking about starting with pigs? It looks like you're not that far from where I am in Tyne and Wear...  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »
Sorry just saw your reply yes certainly come and see us. If you go to GOS website members list my contact details are there.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS