Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dreaming of a new livestock shed...  (Read 4457 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
dreaming of a new livestock shed...
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:05:01 pm »
Apart from a general call out for what you would design in (or out) again if starting a fresh, any views on concrete v stone v rammed earth as a floor. Plus having got some budget prices in before submitting planning, it looks like an all timber building / kit will be the  most economical. Just a bit concerned about durability of stockboard at base rather than block (but it is prettier...).

thx all.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

robert waddell

Re: dreaming of a new livestock shed...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »
concrete every time far more durable than earth or stone and tidier as well
pole sheds as long as you can get electric ones not the pencils that GPO use
there was somebody already posting about a shed build and a link to a blog
it all depends on what the shed is for as to floor sides and frame and also the long term use
the most of them have block work up to 5 feet then sheeted in  or vented sides :farmer:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:06 am »
Depending on how much land you have - youd be better off applying under 28 day prior notification as a tractor shed, workshop or feed storage shed - and then using it as a livestock shed when its all over and built.  :thumbsup:

Personally I'd have a concrete floor everytime

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:15 pm »

there was somebody already posting about a shed build and a link to a blog

That was me. All the foundations are now in and I'm just waiting for the timber yard to cut the timber (Larch) for the columns and beams. Once I have it and the frame assembled I'll update the blog (hopefully in the next 4 weeks)

Parts  1 & 2 here

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/building-a-pole-barn-part-1/

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/building-a-pole-barn-part-2/

Edit: Just popped out and took a photo of the finished foundations. As I say I will update the blog with ongoing construction details etc as I progress (and work things out). I am loosely basing our barn on the utility barns sold by Farmplus; although I am not making it as high to reduce the impact on the landscape. The overall size is 12m x 6m

Costs so far:

Excavator hire approx £200
Concrete (self mix) for foundations approx £200/250
Timber frame approx £1200 (according to sawmill)
Cladding and roof (guestimate) £1500
I may put in a concrete floor once the land has settled which will be extra

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:28:18 pm by henchard »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »
Concrete every time.  Think about slippy / non-slip surfaces (generally some roughness is best for livestock), and what fall and / or drainage channels you want so that water - dirty and clean - drains away as you want it to.

(If you go rammed earth or stone, you'll struggle to get the drainage to work.)

If you are worried about the hardness of the surface for stock to stand / lie on, either use plenty of straw (deep littering usually works best) or get rubber mats / mattresses.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS