Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tanking  (Read 3619 times)

Bill the brew

Tanking
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:40 pm »
I am thinking about tanking out my basement as we live near a river and it gets flooded from time to time...not sure if I would have to dig the floors up around the house or what, its a large space 30ft x 15 ft, has any one any advice before I get a company in to bamboozle me?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Tanking
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:39:29 am »
channel4homes has a quick guide
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/build-renovate/building-renovating-advice/basements-the-forgotten-space-08-05-28/display/page/2
quote from it
"The basement will then need waterproofing by lining it with a studded membrane, then building a secondary wall inside the lining - regarded as more effective than the previous method of tanking it with a cement lining. Any water that seeps in collects in a sump underneath, is then pumped away, to keep damp out even in areas where the water table is high"
I think this is right, tanking is ok to just keep out normal 'dampness' but if the water table or periodic water level rises are such that they cause flooding, more active solutions might be needed. Some of the pumps are activated automatically I think only when the water level starts to rise.
There are some case studies in the article too.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:54:49 am »
I'm sure L&M is right on this.  The conventional waterproofing of a basement attempts to keep the water out by sealing it into the structure which then stays permanently wet.  It is far better for the structure to allow it to come through, pump it out and then allow the wall to dry when water levels fall.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Bill the brew

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:25:33 am »
Just what I was after thanks  :wave: although unless I get some one in, still unsure of costing.....

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:14:09 am »
One of the episodes of Help My House is Falling Down they did sort out a flooding basement using the pump and secondary lining wall method. And they didnt have millions of £££. They quoted some costs in it.
Not sure without watching them all but this might be the right episode, if so, hope its some help..http://www.channel4.com/programmes/help-my-house-is-falling-down/episode-guide/series-2/episode-8

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »
Our cellar floods every 10 years or so. The neighbours is lower, is converted to a lounge, so his pump takes some of the water from under our cellar. Trouble is his pump broke and it flooded and he claimed, so now his insurance is twice the price it was. Have a customer and his cellar pump packed up as well. Flooded a big cellar up to the ground floor and all his stored stuff was destroyed. I had to pump it dry and replace the pump. So the point I am making is have two pumps and test them annually, it will be cheaper than the insurance premium (which may go up anyway). We have three pumps!

Bill the brew

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:56:07 pm »
Thanks, for some reason my comp is slower than me today, I love the programme " my house is falling down" as its about real issues and you can get an idea of prices, still not watched the link as yet......the idea of back up pumps is a good one, I suppose its the same for septic tank pumps or heating ones......I love the idea as it would be a fantastic room and the flooding is not good anyway....an old house i had years ago also had a similar prob, but it was not near a river, I dug a hole in one courner and sunk a huge tank and put a cheap pump in it and it worked fine, the water used to pump out into our drain!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS