Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I am gutted  (Read 16333 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
I am gutted
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:20:06 am »
My beautiful AN goatling, Jinty has Listeria.  She is really poorly, and things are not looking good for her. Got her to the emergency vet this morning as she was staring into the corner of her house, then doing little circles, all in one direction.  Vet gave her a thorough examination, then we put her down and she circled again and again.  He has given her antibiotics, and given me another one to inject her with.  I have put her in a separate house, which has not gone down well with Carina and Finlay, but she needs to be kept quiet, so thought it was for the best.  She is right next door, and can hear them.  Every time I approach the ark she is in, she calls to me.  I am so worried, as this evening she looked worse, but the vet did warn this may happen, and  improvement if there is any, will be slow he said.

Listeria is horrible .....you cannot see the contaminated haylage, and the animals will just eat it.  Its heartbreaking to see poor Jinty lay there, her eyes all glazed.  She is aware I am there, and reacts when I stroke her and talk to her.  Ate her feed tonight, and was nibbling hay,and I put the water right under her nose and she drank.

I don't know what I can do with Carina if we lose Jinty (which looks likely)  they are very close.  Will need to find another youngster quickly.

I am always so careful when feeding Haylage, and check there is nothing iffy about  the bale, or any soil that I can see.  We had heavy snow on Tuesday, and used a lot of big baled hay.  As  we could not go and collect more large bales until today, I got 4 small bales of halage  on Thursday to make sure we had enough.  It was proper commercially bagged, from our local agricultural merchant.  And apparantly it is checked, but of course that does not say the bale is perfect.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: I am gutted
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:53:09 am »
Hi Roxy
I hope things go well, sounds promising if sh'e eating?
good luck

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:14:21 am »
Fingers crossed for her and you  :-* Sounds like you've caught it early and are treating it well so I think there's hope {{{hugs}}}

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:06:38 am »
fingers crossed she pulls through  :bouquet:.

i would have thought the vet would have put her on 4 x anti b's for 3 - 5 days.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:44:18 am »
So much of a worry for you, who would have expected the Hay to be bad? sure she will get better and as she is eating she must be feeling better""" :goat:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:01:53 am »
Roxy,  you are right the outcome may not be good.     

Do you know which antibiotic the Vet has given ?

According to Joh Matthews book.... the recommended ones are Trimethroprim/sulphonamides in very high doses intravenously where possible with maintenance doses for at least 7 days.
Also fluid therapy to correct dehydration..... they dehydrate from shock as well as not drinking.

It is also recommended to treat other animals in the same group with antibiotic.

Call me if you want to talk.... I lost one just befire Christmas to the same thing.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:47:14 am »
Roxy this is awful, hope all ends well  :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02:23 am »
OMG - I'm so so sorry to hear this - fingers crossed and sending {{{hugs}}}
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 03:57:29 pm »
Oh, what a horrible thing - fingers crossed and postive thoughts to Jinty  :bouquet:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:30:22 pm »
Oh no!
Best of luck for little Jinty, hope she recovers.  :bouquet:
Little Blue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »
Best wishes Roxy, hope it all turns out well, we will all await your further post.  Think I'll go out and cuddle our goaties, good luck  :-*
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »
I have no words of wisdom, although I wish I did but I just wanted to let you know that we're all (inc the goats) thinking of you. xxxxx

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »
How's she doing?

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
Oh Roxy, so very very sorry, if this was to happen to one of mine I would be gutted, I really hope things are looking better. :thumbsup:
Ann

Mel

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:09 pm »
Yes,we are thinking of you and Jinty,wishing you a good outcome :'( :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS