Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I am gutted  (Read 16335 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: I am gutted
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:27 am »
So sorry to hear Roxy, I do hope she turns round, I know its not just the work that's tiring, the worry wears you down much faster, good luck to you all, and take care of yourself, we all want Jinty to get better, but if you let the worrying pull you down, that won't be good for any of you
Take Care {{{{hugs}}}}

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »
Such sad news  :bouquet:
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:30 pm »
Hailstoning and sleeting today - I told Jinty she is probably better off lying there under her straw blanket;  Her eye - the one I can see, that is - looks normal, and she does seem more aware of her surroundings.  Moving her ear, and her front leg too.  But ...I do think the damage has been done, and no amount of coaxing, wishing or anything else is going to change anything;.

I suppose its like having someone in a coma - you are never sure if and when they wake up, exactly how they are going to be.  It does tire you out mentally as well as physically dealing with something like this, as its on you mind all the time, and when you get there in the morning you have to prepare yourself for the worst.

Carina is ok at the moment, as she keeps calling and Jinty bless her, bleats back, and Jinty bleats when she hears me. If Jinty goes, and there is no more bleating in reply, I am not sure how her friend will take it.  She is in with Finlay last years pygmy kid, but he is up for sale, and if he goes, there is no other goat suitable to put with her.

Sounds a bit daft saying that when I have 19 goats, but they are all in their own groups/age brackets, with their own buddies.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 04:15:22 pm »
thinking of you :bouquet:
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »
That's sounding a bit more hopeful. Crossing fingers for you both  :-*

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:22 am »
Well, things seemed to be improving last night.  After not eating all day, much as I tried to coax her, Jinty suddenly decided she could eat hay, and even goat feed, without my assistance.  Eating today too, even though she was still lay flat out.  Unfortunately, on the side where her eye is funny, she has again got a twisted head, and she seems to have  gone downhill again, although I left her eating hay tonight, and I have still been able to syringe liquids into her.

I have done my best, but its obvious that irreversable damage has been done.

I must thank Wytsend for her suggestions and advice - in 35 years of goat keeping I have never had a goat with Listeria, so speaking to someone  who has been though it with their goat, and who is knowledgeable on treatments etc. is a big help.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 07:07:58 pm »
thats good & not so good news then, hope she continues to improve
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »
I hope she keeps mending too.
Brain damage is rarely irreversible, think of the improvement folk who have strokes make  :-*

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:48 pm »
keep posting Roxy, we are all thinking of you, sick animals are such a stress.....best wishes to you.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 11:27:31 pm »
Still hoping for jinty. Wish I was close enough to help in some way, even just sorting rest of animals so you can have a break.  :bouquet:

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 07:47:04 am »
That's a very good point Mammyshaz, I don't think that we are very far from you Roxy so if there is anything I could to help you with the other animals please do let us know  :bouquet:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:28 pm »
So Sad  :bouquet:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »
How is she Roxy?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 04:23:19 pm »
Sorry I have not posted for a few days, mobile broadband has been very poor, so I gave up trying.

Jinty is still with us!  10 days now.  I really thought that was it last Friday night, but come Saturday morning, by some miracle her neck was no longer twisted round on her back, and she was moving her head around freely and without my support, and she has improved a fair bit in the last few days, being able to lift her head to eat and drink without assistance, and kick her straw blanket off!!  She is eating me out of house and home - her appetite is good obviously!!  Can eat on both sides of her mouth now, and swallow ok - she was struggling before.  And this morning, when she saw breakfast arriving, she struggled into an upright position, again on her own :)  I could have cried I was so happy!!

One eye still looks a bit strange, and every now and again a little tremor goes through her body, but the other eye no longer flickers, and Jinty seems a lot more alert. 

We will battle on, and see what happens.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 04:58:09 pm »
SOOO pleased the news is good Roxy, here's hoping she continues to gain strength and makes a full recovery  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS