Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vinegar - does it really work?  (Read 4548 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Vinegar - does it really work?
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:19:55 am »
Just spotted this on the internet - is it true?  I'm off to buy some to try it.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/06/got-weeds-use-vinegar-not-roundup/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
Re: Vinegar - does it really work?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:11:43 pm »
Well, the comments in the article are very positive. Never heard of using it for that before. Definitely worth giving a go, and should not linger in the ground either.
a smile a day, keeps the doldrums at bay :-)x

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:18:38 pm »
A lady I used to know sprayed her paths with vinegar and put salt on docks,the salt never killed the docks properly but kept them from appearing on the paths too much.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »
I think it would be ok on paths, but either salt or acid (which is what vinegar is) would make the soil pretty poor for growing much else afterwards.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:53 pm »
I'm not bothered about that - the area I'm thinking of is gravel over hardcore without and membrane having been put under it - roughly just under a quarter of an acre.  I'll be putting high raised beds on it, so it won't affect any plants
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 10:13:33 pm »
Then I think it might well work, it's a very specific set of plants that like really acidic soil  :)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:07 pm »
but it wont actually kill any weeds itll just be uncomfortable to them for a week, youd have to keep spraying it on, probaly every month or so for it to be effective. you need some sodium chlorate. that will kill everything and it lingers, 6 months i think.but make sure you line the bottom of your beds, so your crops roots cant reach it.you might be better building your beds, then sodium chlorate for the paths etc..

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:24:22 pm »
I used SC on the whole area last year and although soem of the weeds died the thick chunky grass stuff just laughed at me ::) :'( :'( :'(

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:15 pm »
engine oil ;D

not really, that would ruin the soil! its a shame you cant put membrane down,  but sodium chlorate should kill everything, maybe use a stronger solution, and keep spraying them.

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:37:17 pm »
I was just adding a bit to the pond post and it has gone, strange!!!!! I may try the vinegar but the place will make me fancy chips!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:36 pm »
Got all the info I needed from that link.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:01 pm »
engine oil ;D

not really, that would ruin the soil! its a shame you cant put membrane down,  but sodium chlorate should kill everything, maybe use a stronger solution, and keep spraying them.

SC does not hit marestail / horsetail  , big docks or couch grass .. it just makes them stutter most of the time , then they seem to comeback even stronger unless you hit all new growth as soon as it emerges . This can take a growing area out of commission for over a year if you have to give it three or four consecutive hits..
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:35:23 pm »
Try cinnamon and clove oil.  It dissolves the membrane of the plants and they shrivel.  Makes the garden smell like Christmas, too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS