Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Improving garden soil consicting of heavy clay  (Read 4100 times)

Frank and Jake

• Joined May 2012
Improving garden soil consicting of heavy clay
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:54:49 pm »
My garden soiul is mostly heavy clay.   I heard that treating with gypsum is good but I cant find a supplier in Ireland.  Does anyone know where I can get a supply.  Anyone got anyother ideas for improving nthe soil??

Frank and Jake

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Improving garden soil consicting of heavy clay
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »
I am on heavy clay too.  I have been digging in loads of pretty much anything over the last ten years and it is much better than it used to be, but still has quite a pan to it in some areas.  I guess at some stage I will just have to dig deeper!  Leaf mould, compost, lawn clippings, sawdust, ash - asI said pretty much anything!  In my veg area, I grew potatoes in solid yellow clay (my deeds say I may not make bricks!   :D) and they really break it up like nothing else.  In other areas, I have just grown fruit trees which seem to like it!  The lawn I have aerated, sanded and topped up when it cracks in the dry summers with lawn soil, but it still floods every time we have heavy rain.  It's a battle but definitely surmountable long term.  Don't know anything about gypsum, but am nowoff to find out!  Good luck!

Frank and Jake

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:15 pm »
Thanks for that Greenerlife.  If you find out anything about gypsum let me know

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:32:55 pm »
I sympathise with you and offer you my solution I've used for my blue coal mine clay See what your builders merchants have in the way of old out of date gypsum plaster , find out the company name and contact thenm to find the gypsum content .

I have used four bags of Thistle finish on my front and back lawn areas ,, it helped crumb the clay nicely , pervious to using it last winter I incorporated  several tonnes of well rotted strawed stable muck and horse muck with wood pulp beddings.quare metre and rototilled in ,then tilled four more times while drying out and then treated again wwith thistle and again four times rototilled .
 The Thistle was put on at the rate of 10 ounces per square metre on each dressing session .

Gypsum does not change the pH of the soil much where as lime does.

Old plaster board is now a recycled commodity , it is ground up and sold at extortionate prices to farmers for just the purpose you want it for.

My lawns  were sown on the first of April and has their first cuts on  10 May a week after rolling it in three different ways to compact it and take out any small humps etc.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:13 am »
My solution is raised beds
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 10:29:19 am »
and mine. break the pan of clay up a foot deep and build your beds on top.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:55 am »
Lime will break down clay in time.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:00:47 am »
Lime will break down clay in time.

Kind of true ....  it helps form crumbs , with the lime soaking up the glutenous content out of the wet clay .
 Lime gets dissolved by rain & , it washes out fairly quickly and it will lead to chlorosiss of lime if you use too much .

Gypsum does not give the chlorosiss problem and like lime can also be used to adjust the pH .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS