Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Retriever hip scores  (Read 8086 times)

Sandy

Re: Golden Retriever hip scores
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »
Sad indeed, people buy thier designer dogs to be different I suppose!! THe reason I have a pedigree bred dog is you usualy have a good idea of what you are getting although I have had cross bread dogs that have been wonderful but def not designer ones!! Not being able to stand up is extream.....soooooo bad too the the dames owner was angry with you, it was the owners fault...we have a high hip score on the lab we are not going to breed with, we were disapointed but def would not use a dog with a problem to pass know problems on!!! We love our dog as a pet and she is spoilt too!!!! WHat people do for money aye??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 11:06:15 pm »
Oh Sandy I am so sorry about Rohan, she is lovely.  I know how much you wanted to breed from all three of your lovely girls.  I know you went out of your way to make sure her sire had good hips as well as having Islay checked before mating them.  Sometimes, despite our best efforts, Mother Nature just throws a googly and we're sunk.  Would love to see more photos of Rhum's pups though.  Bet they were super.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 11:19:34 pm »
Rohan is also a bit fast and we would worry about her injuring herself, as well as her very small hernia, so, although she is a very pretty dog and we would have liked on of her pups, we will have her dressed when we have Isaly dressed but we are fine about her and not breeding from her, she is just a spoilt pet now, although I do not want to take her gun dog training as I do not like the idea of any strain on her joints, she is so fast she shoots around everywhere and we and the vet suspects she made her hip loose while a pup. We spoke to other breeders and they say it still happens on occasion that they can have poor hip scores from good parents....Rhum was a brilliant mum, I never had to help at all, she also kept them very very clean and after they were all whelped I had no mess at all!! Rhum is very attentive in all ways and currently after being top dog...her pups were great, not so sure if they will be fast like thier dad or steady like thier mum...with Islays pups, all would be fast and agile dogs!!  I have contact with all Rhums pups new homes and am looking forward to see how they turn out, one fairly local lady took a huge female and nearly all of the new owners had just lost a Labrador!!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:36 pm »
Just bought Skye home from the vets again as she had to have her elbows x-rayed again as the original x-ray had a mark on it and the BVA would not even look at it.
My vet has covered all charges including the BVA part which is now £50 (was £45 in February when she orinally had it done)
What really niggles is the fact that she had to be put out twice in the end instead of the once which would have been far better just to see if she has good elbows as well as her hips. Lets hope these are o.k. or I don't know what I'll do, :-\
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS