Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pupies  (Read 3790 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Pupies
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:07:12 am »
 :Our nurse at the surgery bought a Springer spanial cross Collie puppy 2 wks ago. he was 6wks old small and full of worms. she bought him because he was being brought up in a terrible state. Over the weekend he started being agressive and needing food all the time. she took him to the vet on Tuesday for his injection and told the vet how he had been acting. . While the vet was checking  him over all of  sudden the puppy went mad and just missed biting the vet in the face. Vet was shocked, to cut a long story short he put the puppy down. Now anyone any idea what the problem could have been. Vet told the nurse that it could have been a metabolic problem but I would have wanted a PM to find out what had been going on. this puppy was one of 5. She is in a state and £150 poorer.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Pupies
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:16 am »
How sad for her and the puppy. 

I think she should try to get her money back but somehow, if the puppies were kept in the condition that you say, it doesn't sound like a breeder with a good reputation and therefore unlikely to refund.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:33 am »
As you know I have working gundogs. we recently had a situation where a woman in England was breeding these and crossing with Springers - she called them 'Bringers' - an apt name!  However, we were informed of the state she was keeping the breeding dogs and pups and we emailed the RSPCA and local council with details.  They acted instantly and took the dogs away next day.  We were lucky that someone had managed to get photos, but I'd have thought a  vet report would also suffice as to the pups condition.  Poor woman must be distraught - no matter how long you have a dog they worm their way into your hearts instantly.  Help this lady - call or email the RSPCA from their website, and the local Council of where the breeder lives.  Many people buy pups from such places to try to help the pup to a better life but all it does is encourage those people to keep breeding.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:25:41 am »
the nurse should have known better       the pup should not have been removed from its mother till 8 weeks old (there is a vast difference in there mobility and nature in these vital last 2 weeks)
she has been done plain and simple the only way she will get her money back is by force and she is in the wrong then    it could be a mental problem from both sides of the breeding best thing for it      not every body has the correct aptitude for breeding :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »
The vet was going to get in touch with the R.S.P.C.A. .She does not expect her money back. My concern is for the other people who may have bought these puppies.

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:57:26 pm »
I wonder if its a too small skull for the poor pups brain so causing the aggression?, most pups will not bite ( only puppy nips)unless they are in pain or very very ill!!! Why have a pup at 6 weeks, far far too young but I can understand some one wanting to protect that pup. We had some one buy our pup that had seen Lab pups in a bad way so informed the vet, its so cruel!! 

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:33:01 pm »
Is it "springer rage"??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_syndrome

Poor little mite.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13:31 pm »
I don't think it usually shows up that early.  We had a cocker with Cocker Rage Syndrome.  She was fine till she had her first season then she became schizophrenic. She would be absolutely fine most of the time  but would suddenly change and hound the other two into a corner and draw blood,.  We once went to a show with her and I couldn't even get her in the ring as she was twirling round like a banshee on the end of her lead.  She eventually put down after biting me in the face.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:21:27 pm »
Is springer rage to do with the skull formation or just genetic? My brother in law has just bought a beautiful springer, I love them but they are too fast and high energy for me...I am a low energy Lab person!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 11:26:24 pm »
I would imagine it's an inherited condition same as Cocker rage syndrome, but in Candy's case the breeder had checked back both sides for three generations - but that wasn't far enough - a dog in Candy's fifth line was put down at the same age for the same reason.  She was absolutely beautiful and on the 15 occasions I did get her in the ring she was 1st every time, even won a RCC at 11 months.  She was very loving most of the time too. We were devastated and changed breeds which is why I have high energy, high maintenance Brittanys! ::) ::)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:24 pm »
Poor her and poor pup! Could have had a liver shunt- which causes toxins to build up in the system and make the dog go a bit weird!
Cocker rage is a form of epilepsy and is genetic, found mostly on the solid coated lines. Not common in springers as I understand it.

I have a lovely collie cross, whom at 12 weeks would have been put down by the vet due to bein too aggressive- he had been very heavy handidly toilet trained and was very head shy and realises aggressive- like he really meant the bites and growles. But with correct handling and patience within two weeks he was a lovely bit slightly nervous pup. It took till 2 years old to come out of his shell. Most puppies can be turned round, if they don't have an underlying condition. Also could the toxins from the very heavy worm burden or he cod have had a worm cyst in his brain which made him agressive.

Bloody back yard breeders- give proper breeders a bad name. Yes too many dogs are in the world, many with awfull genetic problems, but if we don't throw the good ones back in the gene pool there wl be no dogs.
Trying to educAte pet dog owners on not breeding is so hard, they just don't get that their one litter cos they want the kids to see baby puppies or want a pup from their bitch so don do any health tests etc, is why dogs are so screwed up!

Sorry vent over!!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS