Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Retriever hip scores  (Read 8098 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Golden Retriever hip scores
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »
Well I've finally had my beautiful Goldie's hip scores. They have come back as 3/3 =6. I am so pleased with that.
I am still awaiting her elbow scores, but that's another day.

Doganjo I really did listen to what you were saying when I was selecting my puppy and it has paid off.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Will be testing her later for the eye conditions that they can get, so am trying to be a really responsible breeder
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Golden Retriever hip scores
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:21 pm »
When will you get the other test results? If they are favourable, does that mean the patter of tiny paws? :thumbsup:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »
 Excellet hip scores! Well done!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:43 pm »
Hopefully should get the elbow quite soon as waited over 7 weeks for the hips due to it being lost on someones desk and the BVA sent that out with elbow scoring to follow as that is signed off in a different department.
So yes tiny patter of paws if the elbow is o.k. and eyes testing clear at some future date. :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
Brilliant, well done!  If everyone was  as sensible as you there would be far less unhealthy dogs in the world, and probably far less dogs as well which in turn would mean far less of them needlessly killed!

ALL dogs should be health tested prior to breeding in my opinion.  I know that many gundogs are tested for HD but there are a good few which need eyes done too, so well done.  Labradors, Cockers,  and Goldies do, but there are others.

Huge congratulations!  :bouquet: :trophy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:52:42 pm »
Congratulations, that's a good score  :thumbsup:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:22 pm »
Thanks everyone. I was convinced that as it had taken so long that she would have terrible results. I'm glad they weren't as she is a beautiful dog.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:49 am »
Now when she is mature, about 2, you can start looking for a suitable stud for her - look at her pedigree and choose a dog that is common to both sides then look for a relation of that dog, but not a too close one.  If you need any help email me the pedigree and I'll try to help. I don't know Goldens too well but I do have a lot of contacts and can read pedigrees very well!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:21 am »
Will do. She is now 18months old so time is going fast.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »
Will do. She is now 18months old so time is going fast.
She has plenty of time - has she grown up?  I don't believe in taking a litter from a bitch that is immature whether in mind or body.  You can safely leave a first litter to 4 years old or even more if the bitch has always been healthy.  And make sure you have definite bookings before mating.  Some people are just lucky selling pups, but I know of three Cocker spaniel litters at the moment with pups of 10 and 12 weeks left unsold as yet.  And they are from winning stock not just run of the mill decent enough dogs.  A friend of mine still has one of her Labradoodle pups now aged 14 months!  and she wasn't asking anything like the standard £1000 for them either.  Even a Good Citizen award would help boost sales, even if you don't work or show her.  The market is very tight just now.  But as I say some people are just lucky, or know the right places to advertise them.  personally I;d steer well clear of Epupz - I have heard of puppy farmers using that site.

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »
Fantastic hip scores but with all the checks and selective breeding you can still have a dog with problems, just less probable, we have always been able to sell our pups and still have e mails and phone calls and waiting lists for them, I do advertise on E Pupz but had no enquires from them but still cannot see why not advertising on them prevents puppy farms, I for one look on E Pupz for dogs and pups for sale and its up to when you go to look at the p up to make your decision, we had some people buy ours that have seen puppy farmed dogs, one got a vet to call at the place as the pups were in a bad state, dirty bedding and flaky skin etc.  I treat our pups like they are my babies, well they are really and still keep in touch with most of them, the oldest being nearly 2 and a half, strong healthy dogs that are well loved. Always ask to see both parents and look at the condition of the pup. I had tears as a relation bought a king Charles spaniel the same age as the pups I just sold, to me it looked a bit too quiet, it died of parvo virus not long after it arrived at its new home...they now have a Lab!!!!!!

Kaz, looks like you have a wonderful dog! :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:56:47 pm »
Yes, I agree with much of what you say, Sandy, but it is a known fact in the dog world that puppy farmers advertise on epupz, that is why I wouldn't advocate looking for a pup on that site.  Our Club members have just assisted in obtaining the removal of more than 15 dogs from one such establishment.  There was a rolling advert on for pups - stating they were strong and healthy - we were alerted by buyers to the state of the dogs and the premises.  These buyers had bought the pups to get them away from the dreadful state they were kept in, and that is what puppy farmers rely on.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 02:29:34 pm »
The sad thing about all this is the poor family that end up with a problem dog. I know people breeding cross breds that should never be mated. Our local Gumtree is full of cross bred puppies that say will be vet checked but no mention of the parents. Only when a pup gets to an adult will you see what you have and by then its too late. All Dog breeders should have a licence in my opion, a vet report on each litter or something that stops people breeding anything and everything. I know there are people who breed for the love of there dogs but these are few compared to the lot that are in it for the money and to hang with the out come. sorry if I offend anyone. Having lost a German Shepherd at 5 months with no hips I know just how heart breaking it is. We had the paperwork but turned out it was not for the bitch who had the puppies. Just a pack of lies to sell for top price. Needless to say we got the breeders but not everyone is so lucky.

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »
Sabrina thats horrid, about the dog, I agree with what you say. I had a German Shephard that also had no hips joints , that was some years ago now, we also sold a Lab to a women who had a Lab with no hip joints...vet checks on the pups would not show this up at such a young age...they need hip scores when they are about 18 mths and fully grown.  I think buyer beware is the best policy...then you never can be too sure, a recomended breeder is best, maybe one that can show previouse healthy litters!!!!  I always smile at the hip score thing as both me and my hubby had clicky hips, he was young enough for them to be sorted but I wasn't!!!!! I suspect some people sell pups that are older from puppy farms in the pretence of them needing re homing with some sad story added!!!!!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »
Sandy the pup we had could not get up or if she did she cried, I asked the vet to x-ray her as i was so worried. the result was horrific. I cannot even begin to explain the pain we went through at her loss. These people were nasty when I phoned to let them know what had happened and had the cheek to say  our vet was wrong to put our pup down as pills would have sorted her out as it did their bitch her mother. On my local gumtree just now are Lurcher pups, Sulky, Rottie, German Shepherd cross. Now how can that person have any idea what  sort of dogs they will grow into. It seems to be the fashion just now to cross breed everything and give it a fancy made up name.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS