Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stone the crows.  (Read 19385 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Stone the crows.
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 08:37:07 pm »
Womble, I forgot you took a RIR too. The Great Roberto & Lovely Lill kindly despatched his brother for me last week. He was very handsome. Great that your boy is doing the necessary! Glad Senor Legover didn't go to waste!

DITW, I got very overexcited a few months ago when (bored at work and thinking about mice infestations) I invented the electric mouse trap. Thought I'd be a millionaire overnight. Turns out some bugger has already invented it. Gutted.
A duck egg sized dummy could fit 2 AA batteries inside, give a nasty shock to a greedy bird. Would it kill? (It would have to be accessible to rats, crows and magpies, but not poultry or pets. I'm loving this idea. Get yourself on to the Dragon's Den immediately.

I'll get a larson trap from the keeper when I return his mink traps which I borrowed for a nearby friend who had her call ducks eaten by mink. It's a constant battle. I'll also look into ceramic eggs, although I think the flabrador will steal them....

deepinthewoods

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:15 pm »
im a bit busy at the minute, patenting my battery powered slug fence, its like a miniature electric fence for raised beds. ;)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:16 pm »
Fabulous. While you're at it I wouldn't mind some sort of No Fly Zone arrangement for greenfly, if that isn't too much bother. Perhaps teeny weeny little tanks with teeny weeny homing missiles? Something like that? Thanks a million, you're a star.
 :bouquet:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 08:50:04 pm »
hmmm greenfly are a bit trickier, im currently assessing using toxic radio frequencies to confuse and bewilder them, based on my own experiments its a toss up between radio 1 and kiss fm. hope that helps. :trophy:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 09:04:47 pm »
Thanks. You're a huge help. Not.

I'm a Radio 2 listener, and now I'm at a loss for what to do as I the aforementioned toxic frequencies also confuse and bewilder the addled smallholder.

Tsk.

I wonder what station would deter midges? The flight of the bumblebee on Classic FM?

robert waddell

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 09:27:44 pm »
we bought the electric rat traps  they never killed a rat    try getting anything into a dark one trip hole laced with tasters
now our electric fence can kill slugs no problem for beds you could rig up  two wires close to each other one positive the feed wire and the other wire the earth wire  when they cross them its curtains  for them
the same principal could be applied to an electric rat trap   a person  will only last 20 minutes then heart failure if caught on the wire :farmer:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »
I'm telling you, there's money to be made in them thar inventions.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »
i think the clue is in the word 'addled' maybe a sleeping tablet laced bait egg would slow the crows down a bit?
literally 'stone the crows' :D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »
You're a genius. They'd be staggering around the lawn, squaking 'I love you, man, I'm not just saying that, I bloody love you.' While I took pot shots. Pot shots! Hahahaha!  ;D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2012, 10:00:38 pm »
 ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:46 pm »
Wow, what a thread!  ;D

im a bit busy at the minute, patenting my battery powered slug fence, its like a miniature electric fence for raised beds. ;)

Sorry DITW, somebody else beat you to it!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »
Crap. There goes another Get Rich Quick scheme. 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
Back to being sensible :-)
we have a larson trap, I believe a decoy magpie will catch another magpie or crow, but a crow wil only catch a crow, or is it the other way round? anyway, I hate it, having to kill the trapped one, having to feed and water the decoy, and they smell, however, a necessary evil, and it's time I was setting it again, I'm sure the geese should be laying now, and the call ducks, only seen 2 call eggs and they were in the polytunnel.
I once read that filling an egg with mustard would deter future pilfering, or plaster of paris. I found a rubber egg down the field only a few days ago, fox or badger?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:17 am »
Wow, what a thread!  ;D

Sorry DITW, somebody else beat you to it!

cheers for the plug ;) :D (geddit?)

Smalltime

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:45 am »
I read a piece of copper wire gives slugs an electric shock on its own if you put it round the perimeter of the beds. You don't need batteries apparently ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS