Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best Chicken Breed for Roasting?  (Read 6185 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Best Chicken Breed for Roasting?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:36:49 am »
Ta for the input. I've gone for Cornish Indian Game as never had those before (will cross with pure breed Light Sussex and pure breed Australorp).

:farmer:  :chook:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »
ime looking for an indian game cockeral anyone got one , norfolk suffolk area...  harry

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »
Naked necks are highly recommended in France.
We usually have Hubbard/Cobb cross but I've not been across to my usual supplier in Cornwall this year. To tide us over we went to the local Couvoir as they raise these only to find that they are 'order' only and had all been shipped out that morning. We chose (for 79c each) 5 black and 5 brown naked necks. What we didn't know is that they 'give' you extras (left over from that day's orders) and ended of with 26 chicks of 5 different varieties............................. Over half, luckily, are cockerels and all doing nicely...............
I'll report back later in the year with the results of the roast chicken test!
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:49 am »
Naked necks are highly recommended in France.
We usually have Hubbard/Cobb cross but I've not been across to my usual supplier in Cornwall this year. To tide us over we went to the local Couvoir as they raise these only to find that they are 'order' only and had all been shipped out that morning. We chose (for 79c each) 5 black and 5 brown naked necks. What we didn't know is that they 'give' you extras (left over from that day's orders) and ended of with 26 chicks of 5 different varieties............................. Over half, luckily, are cockerels and all doing nicely...............
I'll report back later in the year with the results of the roast chicken test!

Interesting. I have a few of these and tasted my first recently and they were surprisingly good, very tender meat (unlike the usual options of 'red/black/white' which are v chewy).

That was a good deal with your chicks, what town is that supplier in?

:farmer:  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS