Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stone the crows.  (Read 19382 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Stone the crows.
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:05 pm »
As usual I went to look around the duck pond for eggs at 7.30 this morning, usually there aren't any, but this morning there were three which were all being eaten by crows. I went back round to the chicken shed to find lots more crows wandering about. Because I can't get the ducks off the pond at night I can't shut them up and keep the eggs safe, and don't know what to do. It's frustrating because the ducks eat a lot of corn and I'd like to be able to sell their eggs along with my chicken eggs. Any thoughts?

robert waddell

Re: Stone the crows.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:30:47 pm »
you have the ideal location to shoot the crows     i was tempted that day i was there to plug them on the wires but did not know what your reaction would be  :farmer:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »
Delighted. That's what.  ;)

That's pretty much the conclusion I've reached. I need to get  an air rifle. I can assure you that I wouldn't be in the least bit squeamish about it!

:)

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:39 pm »
Unless you get a bird of prey or a crow scarer  that makes that shooting noise!!!!  We had a friend that had a job as a falconer and he could earn very good money!!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:34:17 pm »
theres nothing hotter than a woman with a gun!!! ;) ;)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:01 pm »
theres nothing hotter than a woman with a gun!!! ;) ;)

Ha ha ha! Probably nothing more dangerous than me with a gun.....!     (Actually, I'm not too bad a shot.) Need to go and scrape around down the backs of sofas to find some pennies to buy one.  :)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
Roberto, how wise is it to take pot shots at crows sitting on an electricity wire? Do you think it's ok? Because that's where they like hanging out and they do make excellent targets. Bit worried about damaging the cables, although they're probably armoured.....?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 05:20:13 pm »
Roberto, how wise is it to take pot shots at crows sitting on an electricity wire? Do you think it's ok? Because that's where they like hanging out and they do make excellent targets. Bit worried about damaging the cables, although they're probably armoured.....?

have no idea as to the correct answer to that one although it has just given me a giggle as all i can see in my head now are power lines coming down and crows getting electrocuted (i know not actually possible, just my imagination)

surely you can just bait them to the ground with an egg etc???

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 05:27:55 pm »
Vikki,
no harm would come the electric line when taking pot shots with an air gun, just plug the crows

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »
dont worry about the wires, your main consideration should be  firstly where the pellet will land if you miss, and secondly a clean kill. head shots for birds, with pointy tipped pellets.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:36 pm »
crows can get electrocuted there was a mass gathering on a main feed line and they must have arced out with there wings  but it was one hell of a bang and not so many flew away
there is not that much difference betwean the pointy pellets and the traditional one
at dizzys there is not that much of a problem with backdrop  different if it was a rifle total illegal to fire in the air
i was thinking more of shooting from the house windows that way the crows do not see you because after the first one you get you wont get many more with an air rifle  :farmer:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:42 pm »
You'll need a very good rifle (HW97, 48mm mildot scope with 30mm tube, mag 4-16 for example, £600) and accurate shot with Crows. Pointy pellets are not accurate at the range you will be shooting. Need good quality pellets as well -evenly weighted and perfectly formed for sighting beforehand. Shooting in the air is illegal, even with an air rifle, I understand. Plus the sighting is different for the range as there isn't the pellet drop you have for horizontal shot.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »
my £150 webley springer will take the head of a crow at 30yrds, pointy pellets or dumdums. id agree good quality pellets are important. but you dont need to spend 600 to kill a crow.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:48 pm »
my air rifle cost me £20  and that was with scope and carry bag
a shotgun you can fire in the air and it has a better kill range than an air rifle  the high power air rifle that you need a firearms certificate is classed as a firearm and is subject to the laws governing them :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 07:25:18 pm »
i think the pheasent population woud be happier if shooting in the air was illegal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS