Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stone the crows.  (Read 19362 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Stone the crows.
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »
I'm torn between wishing they'd hide them so that the crows (and 2 magpies, need to get the larson trap out) can't get them, at the moment they're laying in the wide open. Twits.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »
thats ducks...not fed up with crows i got rid of all the ducks got pigs now.... know what ime getting and when ime getting it ie sausages  ...no crow rat problem with pigs.... might get some hens at least they dont drop eggs as they are walking......   air gun BSA SUPER 10 you cannot miss every time...also have  a 410 not as loud as a 12 bore and cheapish to buy

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 05:03:33 pm »
harry if you had rats when you had hens you will have them with your pigs especially with feeding the mash
you are more than likely in a state of denial with them :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
yes not been a problem up till now as there is no leftover feed left after 15-30 mins for the rats, so will have to see its all eaten after 30 mins not like a feeder full of poultry feed especialy as ducks geese etc shovel it out of the feeder onto the floor. i did have a major rat problem with poultry also eating the duck eggs, but i can say i havent noticed any since the pigs came, even if they are there they are not eating eggs.

robert waddell

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 06:51:40 pm »
the rats just need a source of food    they even rake through the pig s**t to get grains as they know it is not poisoned  and they breed well like rats hundreds of them    they send the young out to case the joint before the breeders come out  oh i love a good rat hunt :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
I don't want to shoot jackdaws cos they steal eggs, I want to shoot them cos they steal poulty food and actually peck my call ducks to stop them eating. Bloody things descend 50 at a time.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 07:44:01 pm »
Oooh, the duck pecking makes me cross. I'd shoot them just for that.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 08:01:46 pm »
We had a Magpie used to bully the bantams off their corn treat. Had the cheek to sit on the wall waiting for me to feed them. I shot it with my .22 air rifle from 30 yards, the pellet passing between the branches of two trees, and was 10mm off point of aim. My best shot ever.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:47 pm »
Excellent. Loving your work.
Magpies are bloody awful. We have a pair that just hang around the duck pond, obviously waiting for them to lay. On my morning rounds I spot an egg lying on the ground, only to discover a little hole in it and it's empty. Heartbreaking. I hate the nasty things.

robert waddell

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:55 pm »
we had a pair of Maggie's last year shot the male while copulating and the female a few hours latter a new pair has taken over but i will get them :farmer:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:00 pm »
How very rude of you.

Womble came to take one of my Cream Legbars cockerels last year, and hoiked it off a lady bird on whom he was forcing his affections at the time. Poor chap, bet he pecks Womble every time he sees him.  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »
I've never tried it, but I'm told that a blown egg filled with clear bathroom sealant and left out for them can also work as a deterrant. I'm not recommending this of course since it does seem a little cruel.

The other thing though DC, if you live right near a pheasant shoot, can't you persuade the keeper to put out some Larsen traps on his side of the fence to get rid of them?  You could offer to pay him a proportion of the eggs that would otherwise have been eaten!

Oh, and Mr 'Foghorn Legover' as he became known wasn't even slightly bothered by his coitus interruptus once he spied our flock of lovelies!  Unfortunately the increased testosterone went to his head, and he had to go in a casserole, as it was like living with a foot high ninja all over again. However, 'Roger' the RIR is still going strong, and has sired some lovely Welsummer x RIR hens who are now laying loads of beautiful mid brown eggs. What a guy eh?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20:38 pm »
Pot eggs work for us with egg eating but the crows carry them off and they are not cheap.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »
hmm perhaps its time to invent the corvine electrocuting egg. one peck and your toast.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »
Now that's a good idea !!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS