Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hugelkultur anyone??  (Read 31480 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: hugelkultur anyone??
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 11:22:33 pm »
Very interesting -  Thanks  :thumbsup:

i'm going round all the farmers and asking if we can take all the rotting willow out of the streams for them to build the back hugel bank! the older the wood the quicker the kultur develops
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 06:04:10 pm »
getting a tonne of top soil tomorrow, if the rain stays off the first 2 beds will be finished saturday.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:28 pm »
i think this is a really interesting method. but have trouble with the nitrogen robbery to start with, how long do you think those logs will take to rot down, i reckon 3 years minimum.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
i think this is a really interesting method. but have trouble with the nitrogen robbery to start with, how long do you think those logs will take to rot down, i reckon 3 years minimum.

the wood i am using on these first ones are deciduous Lime which if left damp for anytime just rot away very quickly and the apple wood i have put in is 5 years dead so i am hoping with some queensland blue pumpkins this summer/autumn will knock the lime about a bit! i am getting loads of wood sorted now from the hedgerows and field sides which is nearly all willow. i am going to build this stage over the summer and seal in september and see what we have next year. the main reason i started this is i have about 10 tonne of lime and lime wood chips on my neighbors field which he wants me to move so i thought i would try this and it has just gathered pace from there. i own the land and am there for the foreseeable future so even if it does take time i am ok with that. i started working on the plot in 2008 and have cut down 59 trees which has transformed the site. they were mainly llaylandii or however you spell it. no good for the kultur, but the limes and beech i think will go well and are already well seasoned and a little rotten in places.   

this is what the same site looked like 4 years ago

and 2 days ago

the green house is the point of reference as in the first shot you cannot see the shed!   :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »
my land is similar, im on the edge of 100acres of woodland, ive cleared loads so far and have a lovely old lime at the end of the plot, i knew it didnt burn but i didnt know it rotted so quick, ta for that.  i do think the more nitrogen supplied the better, loads of chicken manure or something to get it going. the squash should love it

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 09:39:09 pm »
my land is similar, im on the edge of 100acres of woodland, ive cleared loads so far and have a lovely old lime at the end of the plot, i knew it didnt burn but i didnt know it rotted so quick, ta for that.  i do think the more nitrogen supplied the better, loads of chicken manure or something to get it going. the squash should love it

where are ya?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:53 pm »
its on my profile or the member map above i think?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:30 pm »
its on my profile or the member map above i think?

roughly?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:39 pm »
near truro cornwall.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »
near truro cornwall.

i know people in Kelly Brae near Callington, not just down the road eh?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:36 pm »
hes not called pete is he ;)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »
hes not called pete is he ;)

nah, he is a Frank or a Dorri  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »
nah dont know him :D

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26:15 am »
get the top soil today, but not going to close the beds without some fresh grass clippings over the top. also it looks like it is going to be wet over the weekend and Oxfordshire clay is not to be under estimated! keep ya all posted!  :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »
soil dumped and very nice it is too! will take some pics tomorrow it was getting a little dark this evening.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS