Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing  (Read 14216 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: fencing
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »
utter b*****ks eve

Robert, how many times are we going to go through this?

Please consider this a final public warning. If you can't moderate your own language and interact politely with the other members on here we'll issue a permanent ban.

Thank you.

Dan

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 03:59:44 pm »
the old saying good fences make good neighbours            and saves you looking like the village idiot chasing pigs all over the countryside

also the breeze block wall is as much use as a chocolate watch  it should be hollow blocks with re bar  starter bar and concrete   or solid concrete walls   if only for the safety of the next door pigs when they knock it over

DAN it is infuriating when tosh is written  with any job do it once the right way and enjoy your pigs any breed
i have shown amazing restraint in some of the posts written  yes we all have an opinion but is it the right one  >:( :farmer:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
DAN it is infuriating when tosh is written  with any job do it once the right way and enjoy your pigs any breed
i have shown amazing restraint in some of the posts written  yes we all have an opinion but is it the right one  >:( :farmer:

Whether you're right or not in any matter, it doesn't give you the right to respond in what many consider to be an abusive manner. No-one is questioning whether your opinion is correct, the problem is, as in the past, your language and disdain for the opinions of others.

The final warning stands, it's not acceptable to respond to other members in the way you have above.

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 05:14:04 pm »
the vast majority look for guidance and assistance  you are a computer whizz kid and well versed on the rubbish in rubbish out saying       just the same as an apprentice if trained under a skilled  and proud to do the job old sage the apprentice will inherit that mans skills (if he can be bothered) train under somebody that could not care less about the job or repercussions then that will be passed on     fencing is a skill as well      but by all means have fences made from rickety old pallets  and luck  its not me      and never has been :farmer:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 07:38:38 pm »
Are you really not getting this Robert, or just having a laugh?!

Let me spell it out: this has got nothing to do with fencing. You need to show *even more* restraint.  :o

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:11 pm »
Robert, what do you mean by a scare wire, barbed wire at the bottom of the fence or an electric strand? :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 09:47:39 pm »
a single wire connected to the electric fence unit  but insulated  if any pigs get caught in it it will break  barbed wire well it can cause a lot of damage     but you have to remember that anything that gets caught on the wire is dead within 20 minutes  frogs hedgehogs snails etc   if i had the computer skills of Dan i would post pics :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »
i had a dead hedgehog trapped in electric fenceing,,,,,,,,,,, i also have a scare wire about 6" in and 1 foot up to stop pigs chargeing the non electic fence over especially into the neighbours lawn though his wooden fenceing, trouble is it gets buried with pigs bulldozing dirt into it so its now 18 inches up from the ground.... my solution is, i have a load of intolocking barries the type you see in the street when theres an event on, with a strand of electic wire along the inside 9 inches in and 18 inches up,,,,, so i think i cracked it......... RUBBISH ON FORUMS,, get used to it i jioned a forum for a make of car ie surf owners club,,,,what a load of rubbish opinions and advice i got from that by no idea members but there was also the odd expert about.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »
Here are photos of our fencing.  As previously mentioned, it is tensioned Pig Netting secured on posts that are well rammed (rammed by a ramming rod on back of a tractor) into the ground. The corner posts have as much in the ground as above.  The gates all have small square mesh in the bottom to keep weaners in place.
I did consider running an electric wire just above ground level but the problem is that as soon as any earth is mounded onto the wire it is shorted out and all electric fencing on that circuit stops working. (In my case electrics run around the chicken run but that's another debate)
The single barbed wire has stopped the pigs routing under the pig netting, without it I am sure they would have pushed their way out under the pig netting.
We haven't been keeping pigs that long (since last summer) but took good advise and aimed to install the best we could.
I hope this is useful - views on it welcome!

Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:50 pm »
Looks good to me, p6te.  If your pigs are like mine, they'll erode where the barbed wire is at the bottom and in time you'll need another strand of barbed wire lower down.  But remember, I haven't been keeping pigs for long and don't have many, so haven't anything like the experience of many other forum members.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 06:39:49 pm »
looks like you spent a few £££££s so why not buy another energiser just for the pigs they almost last forever. ive got 5 just in case, one new and the rest from auctions for £15 or less.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 07:05:53 pm »
Hello Harry

Do you mean that you only use electric fencing to confine your pigs? If so, what kind is it? I am hoping to keep some weaners for the first time this year and electric fencing sounds quite good to start with. However, there seem to be quite a lot of people who think that permanent fencing is the only safe option!

princesspiggy

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 08:45:49 pm »
love the pig  ;D :love:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »
looks like you spent a few £££££s so why not buy another energiser just for the pigs they almost last forever. ive got 5 just in case, one new and the rest from auctions for £15 or less.
Harry, that sounds a good idea. Something to do this summer!

Looks good to me, p6te.  If your pigs are like mine, they'll erode where the barbed wire is at the bottom and in time you'll need another strand of barbed wire lower down.  But remember, I haven't been keeping pigs for long and don't have many, so haven't anything like the experience of many other forum members.
Thanks too Sally, at the moment their is more danger of them burying the wire but I'll keep that in mind.
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
Is it too early to start a 'free the Falkirk one' thread. Lol

;) :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS