Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing  (Read 14199 times)

robert waddell

Re: fencing
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 09:23:40 am »
it is never to early to start a campaign
 i had a huge bit written out and the cat decided it knew more on computers than i did and wiped it maybe just as well  ??? :farmer:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:04 am »
Well, I like anyone who calls a spade a spade!  :thumbsup:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 08:23:04 pm »
POSSOM.......... yes it was just strands of wire at 3 different levels and then 1 wire running along the inside about 15 inches up and 9 inches in.......  that kept them in untill one day the energiser stoppped for some reason ...as i didnt want them in the road i put up a barrier fence with the wire fence still on the inside now with repaired energiser......but yes untill the electric packed in the wire kept them in but i think it is vital to have the single wire in place before they get to the main wires to stop them charging though the main wires, mine are very thick hairy kks............. this was origanaly done the other way round to keep foxes away from the poultry fence. ... i have now fenced all areas in with various wood and metal fencing but with one wire strand ruuning just inside all  the fence to stop them looking for weak areas

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »
Excellent! Thanks Harry.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:19 pm »
Our saddlebacks are contained with two strands of electric wire with no problems. There is solid fencing and/or stone walls around the perimeter of the holding but up to now they haven't strayed out of the electric wire only pens. Benefit is when we want to move them to fresh ground we just pick up the fence and move it.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »
We have properly tensioned square wire mesh round the edge of our pig field and the pigs never get past it. To divide it into sections we have un-tensioned mesh with two strand of electric wire in front of it, and this mostly works until there's a problem with the electric fence or the boys get really frisky.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 08:37:47 am »
We keep sows just behind a single strand of electric tape, growers behind two strands.  This gives a flexible  solution that lets you expand the area or move it easily and cheaply.

4 caveats though.

1. Pigs must be trained to it, easily done by having a training area - stock wire with electric round the inside.  A week or so in there and the pigs learn about the electric.
2. If they do get out, they must be to somewhere safe - eg still within your ground, they will not run immediately to the next fence and break out, but will spend hours exploring what is in between.  So if your ground has some sort of fencing that would stop a pig wandering out of your land, the once trained you can use electric to create an area within it for your pigs. 
3. If you are heavy deer country then deer can take the electric away (hence rule 2), and don't do this in the middle of a badger set - you should site pigs away from badgers in any case as there is a TB risk.
4. Pigs can get out from this system, but very rarely do.  However If they do, you must be prepared for their inquisitive consequences, so don't site your pigs next to your prize vegetable patch, or beautifully manicured lawn.

We like using electric tape (horse tape) as the pigs see it clearly and so avoid it.

If you can't do the above, then stock wire with electric on the inside (ala Robert) provides a secure solution.  I don't like using barbed wire - risk of damage to pig. Plain stock fencing may work, but as the inside gets "used", and pigs get bigger it is likely that the pigs will simply lift the fence up and get out.

Pigs don't escape (as in feeling like they are in a prison), they merely wish to explore new opportunities for better rooting, so move an obstacle that is in their way. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:40:29 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »

Pigs don't escape (as in feeling like they are in a prison), they merely wish to explore new opportunities for better rooting, so move an obstacle that is in their way. 

Love it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS