Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fluke and wormer products for pigs- does anyone else use them?  (Read 2063 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Hi.
Since our pigs arrived last year we gave them a fluke and wormer combined product called Fasimec Duo S (containing ivermectin and triclabendazole) which the vet said was OK for pigs.
We now have to change the fluke/wormer product to avoid resistance and I was looking to buy Mebadown oral suspension which has a different flukicide and wormer in it (mebendazole and closantel).
I'm going to do a worm count for the pigs anyway, but as we're likely to use this same flukicide/wormer 3 times over the next year on the sheep, it is likely the pigs will need it at some point.
Obviously it is more cost efective to buy a product that does both sheep and pigs- but my vet can't tell me if Mebadown is suitable for pigs and hasn't suggested an alternative.
I just wondered if anyone else used anything or could recommend a product?
Many thanks, Joanne

p.s. For those pigs just being wormed- do they always get ivermectin or do they also have to switch products due to resistance?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Fluke and wormer products for pigs- does anyone else use them?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
I don't think pigs get fluke but i may be wrong, The reason your vet won't indicate if mebadown is ok for pigs is because it is only licenced for sheep & lambs and if he told you it was ok to use and something went wrong you could sue him  ::) There aren't many products that do all species.
Personally i would stick to just worming your pigs (we do our breeding every six months) with one of the mectin based wormers and touch wood have not had any problems.
If you just buy weaners to fatten hopefully the person you bought them off wormed them at 8 wks and you shouldn't need to wean them again before slaughter ( we worm weaners at 8wks and that does them thro to their doomsday!)
HTH
mandy  :pig:

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Fluke and wormer products for pigs- does anyone else use them?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »
Thanks Mandy.
The vet advised us to treat our pigs for fluke as our sheep had fluke last year (fluke can be common here and even the horse nextdoor gets dosed!)
The vet approved the last flukicide (Fasimec Duo S) off-licence but can't tell me about Mebadown
I contacted the manufacturer and they are not allowed to tell me, but can tell my vet.
So I have to go back to my vet again!
Just thought someone else on TAS may know something useful, or have used other products.
Thanks again.
J x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS