Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing  (Read 14106 times)

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
fencing
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »
Hi all,me agian,please could you all give me ur views on which is best for fencing my gos's,elctric wire or tape or anything else?many thanks matt and jen

princesspiggy

Re: fencing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:59 pm »
if ur going for non-electric, make sure the bottom strand is low enough and tight. our gos were expert at wriggling under the smallest gap  :o :o

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
if water can get through it pigs will as well :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:36 pm »
Hi Matt & Jen  :wave:

Don't have a huge amount of experience with the "larger" breeds, but my KKs do really well with electrified horse tape.  It's not as aesthetically pleasing as other fences, but it's easier for the short-sighted little porkies to see!

I start mine off by training them to it in an enclosed area, with live tape inside it, just for a couple of days. I've found that if you start them in an open area, they often get a shock & run forward through it!

They learn VERY quickly, even if it's only one of them that get a shock or two (clever little piggies).  Mine totally respect the tape, even when it's shorted by a fallen tree they've stayed behind it & often won't walk through where the fence-line stood when I want to move them - lots of bribery with chopped apples & bananas required! 

:pig: :love: :pig:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:33:13 pm »
We use white tape, but the one with 3 strands of metal wire through it - there is also a version with only 1 strand of metal wire run through the middle of the tape, which didn't work well enough. We start off with 3 lengths of tape very low to the ground (most people use only 2 for weaners but we really can't risk them escaping)  then end up with only 1 or 2 lengths higher up the stakes once the pigs are bigger and we keep on expanding their field.
There's also green tape available which blends into their surroundings, but I think it's fairer on the pigs to use the white one as they can see it much more easily. It's also easier for us to quickly see if it's earthed somewhere if it's white (green grass or plants earthing white tape is easier to spot than green plants earthing green tape  ;))

:wave:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:35:25 pm by Eve »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:53 am »
Remeber GOS are lop eared and for the most part can't see where they're going, mine crash and bang into all our fences, walls etc so i personally find electric fenceing for them useless as they just keep ploughing on oblivious!
Mandy  :pig:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:14 am »
10 coarses of breese block with 6 foot deep foundations and solid steel gates might, --just might--, keep them in

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:41:16 am »
10 coarses of breese block with 6 foot deep foundations and solid steel gates might, --just might--, keep them in

;D ;D ;D Agree pigs are best escape artists even at a few weeks old! They need good solid containment!
 Mandy  :pig:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »
We have tensioned Pig Netting with a strand of tensioned barbed wire running round at ground level and its not given us any problems.
I have read that some people have a strand of barked wire around 18" / 2' up as well to prevent them rubbing against the fencing and loosening it but we haven't and as I said above, all is ok so far.
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »
so far? 

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:52 am »
so far?
'So far' meaning we haven't had any problems with the fencing .... and hopefully we won't!  :)
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »
P6te: "so far?" as in how long? Are you talking weeks or months?  ;)  One day they'll be out...  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »
utter b*****ks eve  we have our pig pens fenced with rylock and some have just rabbit netting  but all with a scare wire along the bottom and they have been up for 20years with the first pen and over 10 years with the remainder
but then again the fence was done properly ;) :D :farmer:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »
why is it "utter b.........s.  I dont see why other people's opinions dont count - your fencing obviously works for you but dont discount others' opinions/experiences please.  Jan

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 02:32:00 pm »
i have posted this about the fencing already the rabbit netting has secured wild boar (iron age pigs)
a properly erected stockproof fence will not year after year keep pigs in without a scare wire at the bottom they go for the grass on the other side of the fence and undermine the fence  this does not happen with a scare wire fitted        i have not had one escape through the fence so far  through gates yes (we have one pig than can open spring loaded bolts)
makeshift fencing is just that  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS