Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weak kids - advice please  (Read 9790 times)

robert waddell

Re: weak kids - advice please
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:54:08 am »
it is alarming the heat loss in any new born animal and once chilled they take longer to recover if at all (sac has a video taken with a thermal image camera that highlights the problem)
if it is breeding at fault it is on the mothers side
tubing never worked for us with calves they always died but that was breed related and nothing to do with goats :farmer:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
If you leave him with her... he will not survive.   You can ring them up to 7 days so no hurry on that score.

Take him indoors... he still sounds as if his body temperature internally is too low and the sucking reflex will not react until that is right.  He also stands a good chance of pneumonia at present being outside.

Give him milk at slightly higher than body  temp initially... this seems to trigger a better response.... gently rub the underside of the jaw when the bottle is in his mouth.   I also find kids that are slow, suck better if they are facing away from you.... no logic in this but if it works,  all to the good.

By stroking the throat, the kid will automatically swallow,  it won't have any choice.   Offer small amounts every 2 hours  but leave a gap overnight  so that he is hungry in the morning..... I wouldn't go b eyond 6 hrs tho'.

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »
they are sort of indoors, there is a boiler in the room and a heat lamp. its where i hatch out my chicks etc. the nanny has got use to it and eating ok. loads of milk too, ud think she was a dairy goat the way shes stood to be milked!  ;D ;D
today has been a good day. he is suckling off her now tho whether he is when im not there i dont know, needs a little prompting to keep going. hes feeling better and had a little skip around.
i think he'l be ok now, touch wood, thanks for everyones advice.
will take piccies soon. great markings for a bagot, tho has brown highlights on his dark hair.
thanks xx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:51 pm »
good news :thumbsup:
can't wait to see photos, my boy Cesar will tell you there's nothing wrong with brown highlights ... both he and I go lighter in the sun!
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:27 pm »
Ahh that's great - so does that mean I can pop over soon to give him a cuddle?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »
yes, of course, we;d love to see yours too. wev just been tasting the bagot milk and its nice - im not usually a fan of goats milk, but its creamy and not too strong. not stacks but enough for a treat! lol - tho it was easier to milk our old gg, not as short!  ;D ;D ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »
hes is doing great now, feeding properly and has a full belly. so thanks for all advice.
just wondering whther to keep the other pregnant nanny in the warm shed too, incase her kids get chilled also? or is fresh air better?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 11:28:33 pm »
I'd err on the side of caution and keep her in unless temperatures rise.

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »
heres a wee picture of the cause of sleepless nights...lol...hes fit as a fiddle now and runs up for kisses!
 :D :D :D :D :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »
Awwww, he's bonnie  :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 07:14:50 pm »
aw, hes lovely!
Does he have a name yet?  (Lucky?!)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 12:40:25 am »
Gorgeous boy.

princesspiggy

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:05 am »
aw, hes lovely!
Does he have a name yet?  (Lucky?!)

the twins were gona be called Bonnie and Clyde, but as the nanny sadly died he called Bonnie Prince Charlie (in her memory).
they are going out to the stable today with a heat lamp. other nanny yet to kid.

my kids are loving the bagot milk, tho we are only getting half a pint! wer hoping to milk our shetland cows so should get more than that...lol

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »
aw, thats lovely. Just shows how small they are

welcome to the world Bonny Prince Charlie

:)
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:21 pm »
What a lovely picture - want to come over - will try soon - but not far off 3 more kidding so......... but I will get across before the winter!!!!!!!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS