Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weak kids - advice please  (Read 9771 times)

princesspiggy

Re: weak kids - advice please
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »
What a lovely picture - want to come over - will try soon - but not far off 3 more kidding so......... but I will get across before the winter!!!!!!!!!

yes definitely, or we'l come and find you. are pygmys smaller than baby bagots? good luck xx

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 07:01:36 pm »
I think so but as I've not actually seen a Bagot kid so I can't be sure - when the pygmy's are born the are about the size of a hand from front legs to back so you can pick them up with one hand, and all skin and bone just like the Bagot I bet. The first kids are over 2 weeks now and a filling out to what I would class as 'stocky' - will the boys are!!! Maybe they're just little pigs (hence pigmy)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:16 am »
I Maybe they're just little pigs (hence pigmy)

;D ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »
I've been looking thru my David Mckenzies book today, came across Vit A deficency, causing weak or dead kids, wondered if this would relate to yours?

princesspiggy

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »
my nannies are fed calf rearer nuts, whether that is the right amount of vit a for goats, i dont know. maybe i should get high energy vitamin bucket.
the kid is great now, in stable and feeding normally. it took 5 days for him to be independent. i had to tube feed him 5 or so times til he got his strength. and then had to supervise his feeds as he was likely to give up too quick. i did wonder if he was too short to reach as his mum his quite tall. i would hold him up by about 4 inches and he'd suckle then, he has grown abit now.
still have a nanny to kid yet- now she is a shorty. i have learnt to stomach tube but not sure how to prevent it happening again.
i still think we found the kids within 30 mins of birth, and although it was breezy, it was a suprisingly warm day.

is it normal for newborn goats to sleep with their heads bent back onto their backs, cos he did and so did they last year. always makes my heart freeze when i see them like that.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 10:14:30 am »
Princesspiggy.... have you purchased the new goat mineral feed balancer yet ?      This was designed to give goats of all types the essential minerals & trace elements that are usually missing from most compound feeds.
The calf feed is an excellent start but goats need more.

If you havent bought the Premium Goat Balancer yet    give Kym Moore a ring at Denis Brinicombes on 01363 775115  on Monday.   She will ensure you get a bucket asap.

A lot of other people on this forum have purchased and swear by it.  It sis the first one that really addresses every thing a goat needs  but of course  it does need to fed all year round to get the very best from it.

DO RING ME ON 01647 231456   if you would like to talk about it.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »
What a handsome prince,well worth all that effort, he is gorgeous  :love:
Congratulations

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS