Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When can you tell if they are pregnant or not?  (Read 12064 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: When can you tell if they are pregnant or not?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 07:40:13 pm »
mmmm starfish kisses..........

I have spent far too long now examining pictures of goat's vulvas!
According to the described method, if I have the hang of it.....
Doris is in kid!!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaay ;D ;D ;D
Millie and Enid both said 'How very dare you :o :o >:( >:(' so will have to be bribed tomorrow with cream crackers :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 07:49:33 pm »
I've been trying to take a photo of my Geraldine's enormous belly, from behind... to do a "guess how many kids" post like Richmor pygmies.
But she ALWAYS sticks her tail up as I press the button, I deem the photos too rude to share!
   When you want to look, she won't have it either!  :D
Little Blue

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 12:13:13 am »

Millie and Enid both said 'How very dare you :o :o >:( >:(' so will have to be bribed tomorrow with cream crackers :thumbsup:

I did notice last year that my 2 seemed to tuck their tails down whenever they had their backs to me, with a look that said 'that's bad manners' :-)
while I find the idea a bit strange, I have to admit it does look different in a very short time after mating.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 11:56:48 am »

Never tried mine with cream crackers.  I've got a packet at the back of the larder that I can't eat now I've been diagnosed as gluten intolerant and OH doesn't seem to want.  My girls usually have rich tea but only because if I get anything else, OH will eat them but he doesn't like rich tea.   ;D

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:25 pm »
Cream crackers are like crack cocaine to my lot! To the point they will even eat them IF THEY HAVE DROPPED ON THE FLOOR! :o :o :o ;D ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 04:53:32 pm »
I tired the pooch test thingy last year and it was not at all helpful, pooch test "experts" said she was pregnant and she wasn't. This year I am more hopeful since my girls seem to be rounding out at 60 days.

Also however, I did a progesterone ELISA test. It is marketed for cows, but can be used to check for progesterone in milk to indicate heat or pregnancy so it should work just as well for goats. I took this video last week:

http://youtu.be/UFpwE0NjsPY

High progesterone (a white well) consistently for every three or four days over 23 days means a very high chance of pregnancy. Based on the result in the video I took, two of my girls are possibly pregnant or at mid cycle. So doing the test again in one and a half weeks will should tell me one way or the other. One of my girls is not pregnant which is why the well is pink.

The test kit is not cheap though and cost 44.00 from HeatAid (Ridgeway Science).

However, cloudburst may give a false positive result.

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 06:04:08 pm »
I had a theory about tails, UP or Down.

I was so positive for about 2 months, If they where PG their tails where down, but if they where still UP then they where wanting some more male, But now I am not too sure as all their tails are UP and swelling in the vulva plus 2 have slack ligaments (now then, now then, could that be it?????? their tails are up cos the ligaments are loose) and I know for a fact 4 are def PG as their Udders started swelling last month,well saying that Lollita has just started swelling but she is not due till April.
lol And to contradict what I just said about growing udders, Tamara had a brilliant near perfect udder start growing last yr, one that anyone could be proud of, but there was no show, no kids no nothing, and No I didnt milk her, I knew nothing about false preg and there actually being milk in the udders until I saw Its Summer show from Hugh and his vet said he could milk his goat. Dam dam dam lol
there are no vets over here that will look at goats so we could not ask.
Well so much to that theory lol

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »
I know this sounds stupid, and I'm probably way off track - would human pregancy tests show anything or do they work on different hormones?
Don't laugh at me - it's just a thought ;D

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »
I've often wondered the same thing, but am too tight to buy some unless i know it'll work ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:13 pm »
Different hormones, human pregnancy tests test for human chorionic gonadotropin - which I suppose, by definition goats don't make.

I've got the scanner coming to do the sheep tomorrow so will get him to do Ellie and Rowan too if all goes well.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 12:46:05 am »
My girl is looking decidedly fat but as the only male she has been near is her castrated son, she must be just being greedy.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:31 pm »
My girl is looking decidedly fat but as the only male she has been near is her castrated son, she must be just being greedy.

Now, it's funny you should say that...my BT didn't show in season at all, even with a 'billy rag'..though she looked a bit tail waggy one day and rushed her to a local billy, but there was no way she was standing for him. Really just gave up and decided to milk her through to next autumn.

However, she is now looking decidedly lumpy although her ribs are barely covered (no worms and not bloat) and the only males she was near last autumn were her two castrated sons and our other goat's castrated son...I'm just wondering if one of them was still fertile  :-\

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »
So - if anyone tried the 'pooch test', do you know whether it was right or not?
mine was,
it would be interesting to know how many checked and it was right (or wrong)?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »
according to the pooch test all 3 of mine that are supposed to be are, and the AN with boobies is an erm.... When the scanner has been, I will let you know if it was correct ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »
According to both the pooch test and the scanner, both mine are in kid  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS