Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kidding preparations  (Read 6125 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Kidding preparations
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »
Oh dear, Anke! Best of luck next time.

I'll probably have 6 males. Imagine...as one after another came out. You wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Actually after the fourth one arrived I did cry... I was just so frustrated - but here's hoping for this year.

We do like curry and I sold last year's boys as pets actually in the end... Not planned by me, but someone wanted them and I priced them accordingly. Maybe should find out if they are doing ok... but maybe not.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43:21 pm »
Do you know what Anke, I look at Reggie and feel really bad he could have been curry because he's like a cuddly big dog but the thought of keeping more boys now just isn't right for US. I can see it is for others but financially it isn't an option to have more boys (goat sanctuary springs to mind!!)
I've found a man (colleague of hubby) who takes them at 3 days old and rears them to eating age - nice man, happy home but still feel sad about it all the same!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:59 pm »
Maybe should find out if they are doing ok... but maybe not.
this is why I'd rather they went for curry. They have a nice life and then it's over. No concerns about safety or how they're going to be treated, or passed from pillar to post, for the rest of their potentially long lives. My two wether kids went last week, at 9 months. It was sad, of course but I think it's ok.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 01:05:01 am »
The stud goat I took Pom to fathered nearly all girls last year.  The only boys were one of a twin or triplets where the rest were girls.  There was only one single boy out of about fifteen kids - mine!!!  Not happy.

Will be when I'm eating him though.   ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 10:46:43 am »
Maybe should find out if they are doing ok... but maybe not.
this is why I'd rather they went for curry. They have a nice life and then it's over. No concerns about safety or how they're going to be treated, or passed from pillar to post, for the rest of their potentially long lives. My two wether kids went last week, at 9 months. It was sad, of course but I think it's ok.

Well it made more financial sense to re-coup the disbudding costs (for one of them) and the vet costs for an upset tummy etc for the other... I had checked the place they went to, so where I do not keep pet goats these people were.

But I do miss goat curry - it really is one of the best meats ever. So this year we will eat ours again! (and I am sure they will be some...)

But there is also the worry about the famles you sell to others - again you cannot keep them all (or so my OH tells me >:(), but again I feel you have to learn to dissociate yourself from them somewhat... very difficult though.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »
We have our 3 boys from last year in the freezer and yes it was hard at the time but I don't regret it one bit. Just one point tho...roast goat is amazing...don't curry it all  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS