Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Border Collie snapping help please  (Read 25727 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Border Collie snapping help please
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 10:29:05 am »
Good luck whatever you decide :wave:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 11:04:43 am »
Apologies for not posting sooner again, laptop in for a health spa this past week.

Improvements have been made.  Firstly, I should point out we are a completely non-agressive family so 'going in hard' is still low key.  But that hasn't been necessary anyway.  Now we are back into school routine, she has been great, playing with the kids, not grumpy with them and everything seems totally fine.  Kids are feeding, taking bowl away etc., letting us do any telling off necessary. 
I think there is something in the litter mates / pecking order scenario and it's just needing time to sort out and for us all to find our places in the set up.  All the training efforts are as much for our benefit as hers I'm sure, she's whipping us all into shape. :D
I'll post a photo of the culprit later today.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sandy

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 11:15:47 am »
Glad things are sorting themselves out, no expert but I do not believe in hurting them to train them either.....a firm NO is much better than any smack or worse!!!!!!! I think snapping is often anxiety, they either feel vulnerable so to sort out the rest of the pack is the way forward...look forward to seeing the photos...If/when I go looopy i will full the house up with dogs!!!! :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS