Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal Cruelty  (Read 9997 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Animal Cruelty
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:13:19 pm »
Kennel worker admits dog neglect 

The court heard that Caldwell's flat smelled like a rotting corpse
An Edinburgh kennel worker is facing a ban from keeping animals after admitting neglecting her own puppy by leaving it in "disgraceful" conditions.

Lisa Caldwell, who worked for Edinburgh Cat and Dog Home, left her dog in a small cage while she went to work.

When police broke down her door after neighbours reported hearing a dog howling, they found "astonishing quantities" of dog faeces in the flat.

Caldwell, 21, admitted an offence under the Animal Health and Welfare Act.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard how she was employed to look after dogs at the sanctuary at Seafield Road East but left her German Shepherd in a cage for hours at a time.

This girl should know better, the quote then goes onto say that she faces being banned from keeping animals. The law sends out crap messages as to how offenders to animals are punished. Can you imagine the hoo hah the press would make if it had been a child kept like this?

James

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Animal Cruelty
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »
aye and i bet she was allowed to keep her job in the Dog and Cat home!!!!

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:44:12 pm »
Wouldn't justice be 'like for like' in other words give her the same treatment

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:57:07 pm »
I don't understand people who do this. We had a recent incident reported in our local paper where two young lads found two or three kittens ina zipped holdall, hung on a tree. Inside the bag with the kittens were toys, dishes etc. We have a cat shelter in Fishcross. They don't judge people who bring their cats in to be rehomed. Why didn't they take the kittens there? It's much too easy to get animals (and children for that matter).

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:00:19 am »
I'm continually shocked and disgusted at reports of animal cruelty  >:(
(and child cruelty, but it's best if I don't even start on that subject!)
I remember reading a story where police had been called to a disturbance at a flat, on entering they found a single guy and no signs of trouble just as they were leaving they heard a noise from the bathroom and when they looked there was a staffy puppy that had been stabbed in the head (it was alive & survived as far as I know) this morons excuse was that he was trying to train the pup and it had peed on the floor so he had to teach it a lesson !  :'(
I really think there has to be some kind of chemical imbalance (or in-breeding) in these 'peoples' (I have other words I could use but best not) brains. The fact that they either think they're doing nothing wrong by their actions or know it's wrong but go ahead anyway - the basic ability to tell the difference between right and wrong seems to be getting missed somewhere along the way.
It infuriates me that the sentances handed out for these types of crimes are so lenient, as James says if it had been a child.............? Animals are just as defensless as children, they don't deserve this type of treatment - especially from someone, like this girl, who DOES know better !
Life, whether human or animal, is less valuable in the eyes of the justice system than money in this country. A prime example being a lorry driver who crashed into a car, killing a family of 6, while USING A LAPTOP!!! was given a 3 year sentance, but another lorry driver who was caught smuggling ciggarettes was given a 2 year sentance, I ask you  ??? - It won't change until the people in 'power' take their heads out their a***s, screw them back on properly and show the people of this country what's actually important (ie Life & decent moral standards instead of money & power)
Sorry for the rant - it makes me SOOOO ANGRY  >:( and incredibly sad  :'( at the same time.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:15:06 pm »
I fostered troubled children for 7 years and I looked after one child for 6 years, they had been unwanted, left to fend for themselves from infancy, e.g. begging for food and raiding bins at the age of 4, anyway, I initially had kittens as in my naivete I thought they would be able to keep out of their way and I was around 24/7 but the child trapped one at the window, played with the Pooh in the litter and I found deep claw marks high  up my wall, I kept a close eye on this and one of the kittens disappeared, my other elderly cat also disappeared only for me to be told years later by a school teacher who was also a friend that the child had said they had thrown that cat from the upstairs window, around that time my neighbours elderly cat suffered broken ribs, that cat only came into my garden and back home, I found the bottom of my shed door cracked and a big footprint on it, the door was in a narrow part of my garden facing a brick wall, I suspected the child had kicked the cat into the door!!!! needless to say, I spoke about these suspicions to the social worker and they did not really say much. I then had Bruce and I kept him with me, all the time, he slept in my bedroom and when I was out of the house so was he. The child also went for respite and they reported suspicions about their family pets....anyway, I asked the RSPCA to come to talk about an incident of kicking a friends dog but although they said they would visit, they  never did. I could say loads of other things and I knew that as the child had never been loved, they became jealous of any thing getting love, I was always aware of this, the child had no worth for themselves so saw animals even lower and vulnerable enough for them to take out their deep emotions on.....poor child through no fault of their own...to add a nicer note, many other children were good with Bruce when we were on on walks, but I certainly kept him protected. Sad fact of life, there are many people who hold no worth for themselves or animals.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:34:39 pm »
Unbelieveable that children can be brought up to think that that is normal. Sad world!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:00:58 pm »
A slightly different tack but still cruelty.  My hairdresser today told me that their lab has bad hip dysplasia.  he is 3 years old and lives to go shooting with her husband. He can no longer do this and is restricted to a life of 5 minute walks.  How on earth can breeders allow puppies to be born like this when all it takes is to have their dog and bitch x-rayed and tested (for about half the cost of a puppy) prior to breeding them.  I never breed with any dog above the breed average.  This poor family will be faced shortly with having an otherwise healthy and happy dog put to sleep.  Operations are possible but can only be done one at a time and are very expensive and painful for the poor dog.  Always ask for  hip scores and other relevant health checks when buying a puppy.  These are on the kennel club website.  Ok soap box is now put away.  Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I am so mad!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:23:55 pm »
After reading Sandy's post on children hurting animals I had to comment again.
It's been shown that many serial killers started showing signs of 'abnormal' behaviour as children, mainly through inflicting harm to animals which, as time passes progresses to harming other people. It's a worrying state of affairs  :o
I have a dog myself (BIG german shepherd - soft as sh**) and my kids get SUCH a hard time if it even looks like they're thinking about winding him up - they're only 4 and 5 but they know that he's a member of the family too and deserves equal respect. I've seen other families where the poor pet is there almost as a plaything for the kids and it's not fair on the animal, they end up being rehomed or put to sleep because the parents haven't taught the kids to respect their pets. (This is not a dig at Sandy in any way, I appreciate that fostered kids DO have a lot of other issues to deal with - I just mean in a 'typical' family home)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:27:35 pm »
I agree Happy Hippy
My new owners are interviewed and cross examined third degree style before they get a pup, they are invited to visit my home and I watch any children with my adult dogs, and I visit a few weeks after the pups have gone to their new home. They are always MY babies!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:28:25 pm »
I do understand, the foster child I had for the longest time whent on to abuse anything or anyone vulnerable but other Foster children were mostly OK, just had family break up's etc, it was certainly easy to tell which children had come from a family that loved them and which didn't. My children were brought up respecting animals, we always had lot's of pet's although I did have friends whose children often were horrid to thier family pets.....I always thought my father in law was cruel to his farm dog's,they worked were given a bowl of food and tied up next to a kennel, he would use them just are work tools, no fuss, although I think he got a bit softer in his old age, if he was around now he would defend himself, I think he was OK with his farm animals...I never took any notice at the time, and my mum told me, my wounderful Pop used to drown kittens that his cat had >:( >:(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »
Looks like we are in a vicious circle then. Until we can start to look after and protect all our children properly - what chance do the animals have eh? I had never thought about such awful conditions until you told us Sandy, how some people live!

James

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:00 am »
and my mum told me, my wounderful Pop used to drown kittens that his cat had >:( >:(
My great grandmother used to do the same thing apparently, MANY MANY years ago. :(
When the cats were ready to give birth she'd follow them around with a bucket of water and get them before the kittens had even drawn a breath - horrendous by today's standards, but maybe in the days before neutering or just old farming practice it was what they did - I'm not sure  ???
Obviously I was really young (maybe 3 0r 4) and didn't know it was happening. My dad's explaination (though he's never done it) was something along the lines of they were farm cats and if they had been left it would've caused interbreeding problems and a serious amount of ferral cats...........................

sandy

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:15:07 am »
If we were to take a short look back into history there were many cruel practices with animals and humans, look at all the zoos and the circus for instance. I dare say my granddad worked with pit ponies as he was a miner and I know how found he was of horses as he used to break them in for the army. My brother is a keen animal lover and gets very depressed about hurting anything, a few  years ago  I rang him and he was upset, he has an open fire, one day he lit some newspaper and one bit flew up the chimney then, all of a sudden he heard a commotion and a pigeon flew out in flames, it flew to his window setting fire to his curtains and he had to chase it around with a brush, in the end he managed to kill it and then was left to clear up the mess...

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »
LOL!  ;D
Last year we lost the guard off the top of the chimney and before we managed to get up and replace it we had several young jackdaws down the chimney and flying round the living room (thankfully NOT on fire!) it didn't half freak out our dog though  ;D  ;D  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS