Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Central Scotland Smallholders  (Read 11986 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Central Scotland Smallholders
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »
is that right that welding is on the agenda :farmer:
Don't remember it being decided on to be honest.  I think it was a suggestion on here by someone.  It would have to be done by an establishment such as Oatridge and they are very expensive.
I'll mention it at the next committee meeting.  That reminds me - anyone fancy coming on the Committee - ladies especially, I feel rather outnumbered right now, and new ideas are always welcome.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »
you were not outnumbered last night ;) :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »
you were not outnumbered last night ;) :farmer:
eeksy peeksy - with Ruth on our side lol  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:16 pm »
i meant the commite :farmer:

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 08:24:26 am »
I have a printed off list on the notice board beside me at work here which says Basic Welding Sat 21 Jan Oatridge College 10am-430pm bring a packed lunch member's £25 non-members £40 I was looking forward to this so I hope it is still on. I've got plenty of ideas of things I could weld together if I only knew how

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 08:30:04 am »
OK, howabout some ideas for meetings next year?  My feeling is that whilst it's great having outside experts (e.g. Andrew and Ruth this year), we shouldn't neglect the expertise we have within our group. For example, Robert & Lillian - would you be happy do do an evening on pig keeping?  Just the basics that a smallholder would need to know to be able to rear a couple of weaners.  Likewise, Rosemary, how about sheep?  I'd love to get a few, but I really don't know where to start. The key thing is that you don't need to be an expert, just to share what you know, and if there are several who also know about the topic already, they can chip into the discussion too.

So, ideas:

• Beginners Pigs
  • Beginners Sheep
  • Growing in a Polytunnel - Somebody in our group must know someone who knows lots.....
  • "Show and Tell" - just like at School, we each bring an object, skill or similar, and chat on it for 5 minutes
  • "Kill it, Pluck it, Gut it", bring your own cockerell (or actually I can probably supply one for each participant FOC!). This one is likely to get us banned from the Mayfield Centre though!
  • Home wine / beer  - again, anybody know an expert?
  • Energy Efficiency / Micro-renewables - I can probably arrange a speaker for this one if it's of interest
  • Setting up your own website - Business Gateway do a 1 evening intro to this. Maybe they'd run it specially for us, or if not, perhaps we could gatecrash en masse?
  • Subsidies for Smallholders (plenty of interest in this the other night)
  • Beginners Butchery

I'm sure there are more..... what else can anybody come up with?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:32:56 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 08:46:14 am »
The welding at Oatridge, and the lambing course and the grassland course, are provisionally arranged but are dependent on numbers. The College charges £280 a day, so either we need good numbers or the Association needs to subsidise it - as the sheep course was.

I agree with Womble but someone's got to organise  these events. No disrespect, but the ideas are the easy bit  :) I think smallholding visits are good - it's good to see what other folk are doing and for the host, it's a great incentive to finish those wee jobs and tidy up  ;D

CSSA should have a committee of seven - currently it's five and may be less come the AGM. If other members don't come forward, it will fold. Dan set up the framework for a new, simple website but it needs a member to take responsibility for getting it finished. The basic text is written (by me) although there's nothing to stop other text being written too - but it was a start.

I've done three years on the committee and, for the most part, it was very rewarding but it needs new folk with get up and go to take it forward.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:50 am »
Good ideas.
Beginner's goatkeeping
DIY fencing - really an outdoor session
I am sure if I have time to sit down I can think of lots more i would be interested in myself as a starting smallholder

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:24 am »
your getting my vote womble for a committee position
the basic welding would be good    good eyesight is a must and quick reactions also required   but what welding are they doing   mig   tig  stick or  gas welding
the pigs/sheep is a good idea  the kill it pluck it gut it  is best done away from the public  polytunnel i know a man     wine and beer i am well up for an honest opinion on the end product        subsidies is not just as straight forward as claiming  if you could get somebody from defra/rural payments     butchery that has been done in conjunction with qms  and was well attended
BUT if you don't read the posts book a place or mark it in your calender  (cssa ones have big enough boxes to write in) you have missed out :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:31:30 am »

Sorry Rosemary, I didn't mean to be flippant, and I know there is an awful lot more to organizing this than just coming up with the titles. However, I still think it would be good for folks to add to the ideas list, and then that can be evaluated to see what flies and what doesnt (personally I hope the pigs will fly, but I've been told there's only a slim chance of that  ;)).

I think in general some things we will only want to do once, or once every few years, whereas other things could be done on a more regular basis (seed / seelding swaps in spring for instance).

DIY Fencing is a great idea. I'll host that one, and provide the materials!  ;D

Meeting times are an interesting dilemma. For me, dark winter evenings are about as good as it gets, as I work 9-5 weekdays, and weekends are always jam packed.  However, I know that's not as good for folks with young kids, those who dislike winter driving, etc etc.

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:24 am »
Can I just remind everyone that this TAS - it is NOT related to CSSA although we do post on here as individuals.  If anyone is willing to come on the Committee can I please have a message from you to the CSSA email address - I have one offer already and I am very pleased, but we need more as Rosemary says!

cssa_committee@yahoo.co.uk

Some great ideas chaps, keep em coming and we'll discuss at the next committee meeting.

Anyone who would like to be on the committee is welcome on Sunday afternoon 27th November at my home 2pm.(you could be co-opted on now I think)

I think the Christmas get together may possibly be changed to the Friday, 16th December rather than mid week. but we have to discuss that in committee too.
Annie

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »
Ideas

Definitely beginning with sheep (and other animals/fowl too)
Talks on more unusual species we may not have or necessarily want but would be interested to hear about - exotics, camelids, the buffalo guy for instance? or someone like Fletchers deer farm..
Incubation, chicken sexing and rearing maybe too?
Fencing I could host but not do myself :P
Pruning fruit trees (another one I volunteer to host but know nothing about ;) )
Cuttings and other forms of plant propagation
Polytunnel selection and setup
Subsidies, grants and other financial things - I just appealed a tax credit application and have to sort out ILA who want an accountant's stamp before they'll consider what I told them I didn't earn ::)
Book keeping and Tax returns (Annie?)
Websites I can do based on free templates but it could help some folk
Marketing produce - design, markets, legislation, hygiene certificates, selling at the gate, farmers markets..
Agricultural animal health - vets, nutritionists..
Building a coop from scratch/modification of other structures (here please!)
Chainsawing
Welding (tho I just realised I've taken a booking to work 21 Jan :( )
Preserving fruit and veg
A meat equivalent, curing etc for the carnivores (I won't be around that day!)
Butter making
Cheese making
Basketry
Spinning
Dyeing with natural materials
Herbs and spices - growing, preserving, using in food/medicinally
Weaving
Crochet
Knitting
Felting (I would still come tho I've done a few courses already)
Fleece to fibre wool processing
Brick/blockwork basics for animal shelters/barns/outbuildings/storage repairs
Tractor driving (Always wanted to but will never afford a tractor and just want a shot!)
How to prepare and show livestock (various species)
How to prepare and show produce
Trailer towing/manoeuvring

That's just off the top of my head as the list of what I don't know is endless and tho I have some ideas on some of the above I'd usually try and come to broaden my skills and enjoy the social aspect - but it does need to be daylight for me ::)

Oh and another idea is whether we could create a cooperative or skills/labour/equipment exchange to pool both manpower and skills particularly for the likes of the middle aged single crock who can't pay workmen but might muck in with other things in good company..  A kind of moneyless banking system of hours or just a monthly day somewhere with the host providing a task, the materials, the catering and a wee show and tell around their holding..

Sorry I have lots of ideas and relatively little experience of any relevance and, given the night time meetings I can't volunteer to join the committee before anyone thinks of saying to go on and get the above organised  :-\

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 01:22:28 pm »
some list ellied    a lot of the items  are on the training group list
i know a guy that does that as a living  will ask the next time i see him about a group session   and no that does not tie in with ellies second last para
i think womble has the lead on the fencing   well he is going to supply the materials :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:53 pm »
Ellie, you don't have to be on the Committee to organise some of the events - I'll be talking to you about that soon.  We all have skills and one of the things the present committee suggested was making use of these.
NOW
Can I PLEASE ask you NOT to use TAS and to reply on cssa_committee@yahoo.co.uk

I have sent a questionnaire email out to all current and past members so if anyone has been missed can you please let me know, and accept my apologies for the omission. :-[

we also have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/centralscotland.smallholders - let me know if you wish to be a 'friend'  ;D

- Annie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:30:56 pm by doganjo »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »
Can I just remind everyone that this TAS - it is NOT related to CSSA although we do post on here as individuals. 
I think the Christmas get together may possibly be changed to the Friday, 16th December rather than mid week.

No problem with a CSSA thread on here - at least everyone can see and participate, which is great.

The 16th would be good, Annie, for reasons that you know about  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS