Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Makes me so mad!!!!  (Read 3964 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
Makes me so mad!!!!
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »
On Saturday morning I had arranged to go pick up some  :&> :&> :&> :&>  from Reidi about 20 miles from me, we had sorted the details through PM on TAS.

I got up nice and early made my morning brew and sat in the living room with my laptop to get the address from my messages. Turned laptop on and tried to get online, all I could get was and error message from Google chrome saying I had network problems,  :-\ so tried Explorer thinking there was a problem with chrome,same thing   ??? no available connections. Did all the usual stuff to try to sort it but nothing  ???

Decided the only option left was to give Talk Talk a ring, picked up the phone, nothing  ??? no sound at all not even that annoying tone you usually get on a dead line. Now panicking I rang a friend and got her to log in as me and get the details from my messages. Thank you Linda xx No time to sort the phone problem I went and dropped OH at the field to sort everyone out and shot off to get my 4  :&> :&> ( funny I came back with11  :&> & 3 Guinea fowl ::) lol) 

When I got back that afternoon I tried the phone again, still not working so I rang Talk Talk from my mobile, a very apologetic girl on the other end of the line told me that the main cables to our local exchange had been stolen  >:( 2500 homes without telephones , today it the first time I have been able to get on line.

Then tonight on my way home from the field I called in at the local Spar to get some cash from the machine,only to find it boarded over, I went inside to get a few bits and get some cash back, when I got served I asked the girl behind the counter if they were repairing the cash machine ,"no it's been nicked" she replied "4am Saturday morning they ripped it out of the wall"

I

How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Makes me so mad!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »
Good grief  >:(
When they find out who did either, instead of sentencing them they should just hand them over to the folk who've been phone/cash less all this time!  ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:46:19 pm »
so if its not nailed down, but underground or bolted to a wall.... :D
Good to have you back on though Hatty :wave:
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:24:02 pm »
Glad you are back on line!!

Its hard to believe what people nick nowadays, and how they get away with it, without being seen!!

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:48:07 pm »
so make sure you're diesel's locked up.  We used to get a lot of trucks parking on the roadside (we're near the M1 and M25) avoiding overnight charges.  Then diesel started vanishing and they've all retreated into the secure service area.

But we've had some tractors and combines targeted - just a hole punched in the tank and the contents drained into 5l plastic cans.  Lose the fuel and need a new tank

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:49 pm »
we have a simliar story to this, over the weekend we were staying with our aunt and uncle in Great Habton (N.Yorkshire) came out on the saturday morning to find the road signs and the manhole covers stolen. the farm down the road had a ifor williams trailer stolen.

whats worse is the scrappies accept it NQA :o

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:24 pm »
yes once the scrap goes through the fragmenter how is plod going to trace it
about 20 miles from me there was a windmill site with the cable buried underground in ducts they came to joint it all gone and it was aluminium  a hell of a work for a few kilos    the re cabled it and installed security guards till it was jointed
the favourite one in Glasgow    set fire to the cable wait for the second explosion then in and away with the cable   it happened recently below the motorway :farmer:

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:00:48 am »
Was listening to something on the radio a couple of days ago even if they catch them its seen a a victim-less crime so fines are minimal. One bloke was done from stealing £3500 of lead from a roof and got a £85 fine, makes it worth doing to them, fines should be more than the value of what they steal or it will never improve

I think they should do spot checks at the Scrap yards, they can't get it all through the fragmenter at once, and fine them an amount that will make them think twice before they accept dodgy scrap.

Hauliers have had hefty fines for years if they step out of line. and most of the fines are payable by both the driver and the company, double whammy, had it drilled into me when I drove for my dad. Unsafe load £1000 each, Tacho offences £1000 each, needless to say I was always careful

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55:29 am »
in Scotland the main scrapie's are being targetted by hmrc those that do the stealing don't care if the vehicle is impounded they just get anotherone and plod is scarred to touch them they play the Gypsy card
 :farmer:

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »
This is what recession is

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 05:59:11 pm »
in Scotland the main scrapie's are being targetted by hmrc those that do the stealing don't care if the vehicle is impounded they just get anotherone and plod is scarred to touch them they play the Gypsy card
 :farmer:

We have 78 Gypsy sites in our area, and I think you right Robert plod are scared of them! not just them playing the gypsy card

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
This is what recession is

and too a degree, I couldn't have summed it up more.

Metal theft has been in the limelight a while now and its a concern for everyone and profitable for the few (from any walk of life) who choose.

Is it not the double edge of having a thriving recycling market? Probably?

I have no doubt that restrictions need to be tightened on scrappies - they spotted me soaking the rear seats of the scrap cars in water before the weighbridge 20 years ago - they should be able to trace and know where scrap is coming from now?

Baz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS