Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas pud  (Read 3082 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Christmas pud
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:01:29 pm »
when do folks make their X-mas puds? I feel it's a bit early but don't want to stress myself out nearer the time and it has to rest for the lovely alc. flavours to soak in? :&>

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Christmas pud
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:17 pm »
I would usually make mine between now and the end of Nov.  This goes back to my school days (many years ago) when we made them in housecraft lessons and let them mature until christmas.

I would say do them now and get rid of the stress.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »
Traditionally Christmas puddings were made on "Stir Up" Sunday which is the last Sunday before the season of Advent.

The term comes from the opening words of the collect for the day in the Book of Common Prayer of 1549

“Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

This will give the flavours time to blend and mature  - I think this year it was yesterday, so anytime around now should be perfect

All the best
Sue

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »
Usually about Hallowe'en. But we're having Co-op Truly Irresistable ones this year  ::)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:54 pm »
Rarely bother with a pud as we are usually SO STUFFED!!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »
OH introduced me to them and I didn't like the way the bought ones coated the roof of my mouth, so decided to make one myself! I'll just treat it as the desert on 1 night  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:12 pm »
We all love Christmas pud - I use Delia's recipe and usually make half a dozen to do us until Easter  :o

But we bought these Co-op ones last year and they really are lovely. I've still made a cake though. Well, two but we ate one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS