Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tablet  (Read 8251 times)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Tablet
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:56:10 pm »
Hello all  :wave:
Haven't been around for a while, got a new job and been busy.
I was wondering if anyone had a tried and tested tablet recipe - there are loads of variations when I search recipes online - I don't know which to choose ???
Any sweet tooths out there? Lol!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Tablet
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:21:30 am »
The friend of ours makes the best tablet bar none. I have emailed her for the recipe and will post it as soon as I get it.  :)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:45:47 am »
Thanks Rosemary :)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »
Put into a pan, 2lb Sugar, 4oz Butter and 1/2 pint Water.
Stir over heat until the sugar is disolved then bring to the boil.  Add a tin of condensed milk and boil steadily stirring frequently until it is a sandy brown colour and the bits sticking to the side of the pan are starting to crystalise. Now take it off the heat and whisk it with a metal whisk until it becomes a lighter colour. (about 5 minutes) Pour it into buttered trays and allow to cool a bit. Before it goes cold mark it into squares with a sharp knife.
When totally cold tip out of the tray and break into squares. You can keep it in an airtight tin. I've no idea how long it keeps, it's always gone in a couple of days!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »

Ingredients - 1 2lb (1 kilo) bag of granulated sugar, 125g of butter, 1 (397g) tin of condensed milk, 200ml of milk, vanilla extract.

Melt butter in milk, add sugar, stirring it in. Then, add condensed milk and bring everything to the boil very slowly. The sugar gramules must be dissolved before the mixture boils! To test if the sugar is all dissolved drip some mixture onto a spoon, let it run off the spoon and you can see if it's all dissolved or test it with your tongue. Boil for 20 minutes stirring all the time or until the mixture is the colour of a 'camel coat'. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla extract to taste. Beat the mixture until it starts to stick to the side of the pot - hard to say how long you need to do this for. Pour the mixture into a tray, leave for15 minutes then mark off into squares.

Much the same as Crofter's I think. It's delicious.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:01:24 am »
Thanks guys, guess what I'll be doing this weekend! ;D

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:59:37 am »
hi
never heard of tablets........
must of had a deprived childhood :'(     ::)  (thats my mum rolling her eyes;) )
well i need to have a go.... I hope i'm not disappointed
Mx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »
never heard of tablets........

I think it's a Scottish sweet - you can always rely on the Scots to use sugar to the max  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:39:36 am »
Tablet is the scottish version of fudge really.

I have a recipe here- its from a book "The Home Book of Scottish Cookery" our version dates from 1973. But we use this recipe to make goats milk tablet. Used to make loads and sell it at agricultural shows, but don't do it so much anymore.
Apologies- it's in Imperial measurements- I'll convert when I get time.

1 lb granulated sugar
2 oz butter
1 tablespoon  syrup
1/4 pint of goats milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Grease a tray in advance. Put milk, sugar, butter and syrup into a pan and dissolve slowly. Boil, stirring all the time to 245 degrees F, or until the mixture forms a soft ball in cold water.
Remove from the heat and alow the bubbles to settle, add the vanilla essence and beat until thick. Pour into the tray, before it cools completely mark with a knife into squares. Once cooled, break into squares and store.

Vary flavours by adding one of the following-
4oz chopped walnuts
2 oz chopped crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons of cocoa

Personally we also used to make cherry flavour by adding 4oz chopped glace cherries.

Coincidentally, our version of the book, now falls open of its own volition at the "sweets" section, which is somewhat evidenced of its use, as those pages as somewhat stained!

Beth

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:28 pm »
Hi was just wondering  :-\ is Tablet soft like Fudge or hard like Butter Tablet & Kendal Mint cake
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »
Had no idea what it was so decided to make it  :D
It's like Werther's, only mine was soft and stretchy as I divided the recipe in half but forgot to halve the liquid, too!  ::) ;D Or is it supposed to be soft? It did take twice as long to turn the right colour as it was supposed to...

:yum: :yum: :yum:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:45:48 pm »
Usually more crumbly than fudge, not chewy at all and not hard like Kendal Mint Cake. It should sort of dissolve in the mouth (if it gets time). I love tablet.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »
There is a recipe for tablet in the December Home Farmer. It look pretty much like my fudge recipe to me.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS