Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sausages!  (Read 2680 times)

deepinthewoods

sausages!
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:53:49 pm »
my gran always used to cut hers lengthways and flatten them and fry them, ive heard that people boil them a bit before frying them, some grill.
 i fry mine whole, slowly.
how do you cook yours?
and what are your favourite recipes?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: sausages!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:43:18 pm »

Definitely fry them on a low/medium heat so they cook through without burning.

I sometimes deep-fry them, too. They go a lovely golden brown colour.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »
It is morally wrong to do anything with a good sausage than fry it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a pork chop , eggs , mushrooms, chips, beans, bacon and tomatoes :thumbsup:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »
It depends!  ::)

If it's going in a roll definitely split and fry, that way you get more cripsy browning.  :thumbsup:

I like them in a casserole with butter beans, tomatoes and mushrooms too. Or toad in the hole (we had that last week with the first of our beef sausages). Getting hungry now.  :D

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:13:54 am »
When out with the caravan  and awayon a days outing often use a slow cooker jobby for three hours or so on low using a time clock .
 Bung in a few lightly browned onions first to bring out the flavours .

Then it is filled with leeks , carrots  onions, parsnip , swede cubes , a couple of crushed cloves of garlic , a few mushrooms and a few shakes of black pepper , a packet of chicken and veg cuppa soup and two oxo cubes . Sometimes adding one or two potatoes cubed to one inch cubes . 

At home we have a big old " George Foreman Lean Machine "  infrared grill plate and sausages done in it at power four for say three min and turned ,then another three min and turned again , then for another two give a firm low fat lovely brown sausage .

Often do sausages outside to a golden brown on the gas barbie or on the charcoal one with them wrapped in a lean bit of back smoked or unsmoked  bacon.

They also do fairly well on barbie skewers as half a sausage  intersperced with capsicums , onions , the odd pickled onion , mushrooms and bits of courgette or marrow cubes after being left as filled skewers marinating over night in a sweet not very hot tomato based thick sauce
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS